We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling in Ooty and nearby places

India
Level Contributor
25 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling in Ooty and nearby places

Hi

As posted earlier, we (two of us) plan to visit Ooty and stay in some resort like Sherlock (where we would have good views) for 4 nights in the middle of this month. Though the resorts look great, they mostly seem to need some private vehicle to get there.

Our itinerary looks something like this:

Day 1- Land in Coimbatore (flight), get to Ooty

Day 2 - Roam around local tourist places in Ooty like Botanical garden, Doddabetta

Day 3 - Pykara and Mudumalai

Day 4 - Day trip to Coonoor (one-way by toy train)

Day 5 - Leave for Coimbatore from ooty

Given this itinerary, I want to get an idea of what is the best way to travel around?

1. Do I book a cab for this entire trip starting from Coimbatore? How much would it approximately cost? (or)

2. Should I go from and to Coimbatore by bus and hire a cab locally in Ooty? (or)

3. Can I do sightseeing within ooty by auto instead of cab? (Day 2)

Thanks for helping out!

bangalore
Level Contributor
135 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling in Ooty and nearby places

Hi,

The plan looks good, Even at coonor you can do local sighting.

U can take a bus from coimbatore to ooty many are available, from there u can take a auto or a taxi to the resort.

For ooty sighting autos are available but i would prefer a cab,tour operators arrange small buses which will be lesser than cabs but timing will be a constraint.

U can also include kotagiri tea estates that is out of the city(ooty).

Regards

Lohit

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
682 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling in Ooty and nearby places

Hi Ganeez,

your plan seems to good . my personal opinion take cab for your entair trip with an experienced driver with suitable language . it will help you to cover the most beautiful places and the hidden places of Ooty . avoid local jeep safari in Mudumali . when you reach in Mudumali they will try canvas for jeep safari. they are going on the same rout to Ooty via Msinagudi and back and they called it jungle safari . they are charging around 750 . the actual charge for per person is in forest department is very less.

regards

KERALA DAYZ

India
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling in Ooty and nearby places

Hi

From Ooty,

Drive thru Nadukani Pass to Nilambur in Kerala, famous for its greenery.

Stay one night at Nilambur

Visit Teak museum, hanging bridge, tallest teak, Adyanpara waterfalls etc.

Book return ticket from Calicut airport.

BR

India
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling in Ooty and nearby places

Or you can do it in reverse order also.

Land at Calicut airport.

Transfer to Nilambur 1 ½ hr

Visit local sight seeing

Night halt Nilambur

Move to Masinagudi/Mudumalai

Night halt Masinagudi

Visit Pykara Dam

Ooty-Coonoor- Coimbatore and return.

India
Level Contributor
25 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling in Ooty and nearby places

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will try to cover Kotagiri too if I have time, Kerala is for a separate trip.:-)

I am thinking of hiring a cab for within Ooty and try to go by bus from Coimbatore to Ooty and back.

6. Re: Traveling in Ooty and nearby places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Ooty (Udhagamandalam)