We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ooty in end-June vs. end-July

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ooty in end-June vs. end-July

Hi,

We (hubby & self) are planning a vacation to Ooty - ideally would prefer in the end of July - to coincide with anniversary.

However, have read about the monsoon spoiler during that time.

Please advise if its better to plan this vacation around the end of June, rather than end-July.

P.S. - we would love a relaxing vacation to enjoy the natural beauty of the hills, but would like to avoid pouring rains.

Thanks,

Kankana

Chennai, India
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ooty in end-June vs. end-July

Its not advisable for either of the time you plan. Monsoon is a killer in July. Rains so badly. Atleast make it early June. That should be better.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ooty in end-June vs. end-July

Hi Kankana,

Both the months you are considering fall in the monsoon season. Hence, expect intermittent rains. These could be mild showers to heavy downpour. I would not say it would be continuously raining and a good holiday would definitely be in the cards. I, for one, personally enjoy that kind of a weather as it brings a lot of freshness around. The climate would be cold to pleasant, but a different experience altogether. Be sure to pack rain coats and sweat wears. The rains would be brief spells. So, if your idea is to have a laid back, relaxing holiday, both months should be okay.

Regards

Prasanna

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ooty in end-June vs. end-July

Thanks Prasanna, we are keen to experience the freshness that hills offer during the monsoons... will follow ur advice of keeping rain gear handy!

Also, between Ooty & Kodaikanal - which one would you recommend for a relaxing holiday?

P.S. - not much keen on touristy stuff... but would enjoy nice, long walks to explore the scenic beauty of the place.

Rgds,

Kankana

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ooty in end-June vs. end-July

Kankana,

Both Kodai and Ooty are amazing places. From my recent experiences (last weekend in Ooty and the previous in Kodai), I would suggest you stick to Ooty. The reasons being, the wide range of options available in Ooty, the weather (definitely more chill than Kodai), and the infrastructure. My personal choice was to stay in Kotagiri this time, to avoid the hussle bussle of the town, the crowd and the pollution. I luckily stumbled on a brand new guest house on the Kotagiri - Coonoor Highway (check www.pinewoodsuites.com). What I liked most about this place was that, although on the main road, there were no other buildings other than this and it was also very near yet very far from all the important tourist attractions and the towns of Ooty (18 kms), Coonoor (9 kms) and Kotagiri (8 kms). This is set in a small valley with a creek running below and still not polluted and with a lot of flowers and tea around.

So, I would recommend you to try some places like these, the condition being, a 15 - 20 mins drive should take you to the town. In which case, you will have a world of your own to relax, no noises except the once in a while passing motor, the birds squeaking and the one from the creek.

Feel free to revert for any clarifications.

Regards

Prasanna

Edited: 7:48 am, April 27, 2012
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Ooty in end-June vs. end-July

Hi kankana

can you share your experience of your visit

As we r planning to visit ooty on June end

Thanks prasanna for your inputs

Planning 2 day visit

will that be enough to explore ooty and relax also

please guide

6. Re: Ooty in end-June vs. end-July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 am, June 17, 2013
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ooty in end-June vs. end-July

hi prashantch

past three day heavy rain in ooty, it will continue for minimum 10days. so plan according to that !

thank you!

8. Re: Ooty in end-June vs. end-July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 20, 2014