We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A trip to Ooty in mid August

Which Ooty (Udhagamandalam) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi
6 posts
Save Topic
A trip to Ooty in mid August

Hello everybody

I read several posts on Ooty travel and have planned to visit Ooty during 14-16 August 2011. Kindly provide some information about weather conditions in August. I will reach Coimbatore around 9 pm, can I get a bus for Ooty in night?

I want to visit tea estates, please suggest how to proceed about it?

I also want to visit Mudumalai National Park for one night. Is it worth visiting the place? do I need some permissions for the same.

Please update if somebody has recently visited.

Thanks..

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A trip to Ooty in mid August

Hi

July - Aug is supposed to be rainy season. However, the chances of a downpour for days together is normally not an occurance.

I am not sure about this, but i remember reading somewhere in the TA forum that the last bus from Coimbatore to Ooty is around 8:30 PM. This may be dated news which needs to be verified.

However, i do know it takes an average of 2.5 hours by cab to cover the distance of 90 odd Kms between Coimbatore to Ooty, and Ooty, like any laid back hillstation, shuts itself down by around 8:00 PM. Unless you have a reservation, you may end up spending time, waking up folks at hotels during midnight, especially during the off season (if you take the late night bus / cab option).

If you like tea estates, maybe it would be a good idea to try staying in an Estate itself for a day or two, maybe Coonoor is a good option. Lot of estates, like Glendale, Kodanad, Terrace etc offer Bungalows for stay. a visit to a tea factory is usually part of the Estate stay.

(www.glendalestays.in)

(tranquilitea.in/page2/tranquilitea_holidays.…)

(http://olandestate.com/Luxury_Stays.html)

there are many more, just a sample of options . . .

From Ooty, Mudumalai is just about 45 Kms away through a steep route called the Kalhatty route and is around 80 KMS away through the Pykara Gudalur road. The rainy season may make the drive a bit slower but Mudumalai is worth visiting even during the monsoons. You can pick from a wide range of resorts available at MAsinagudi, on the fringes of the Mudumalai sanctuary.

regards

Rajan

Edited: 8:04 am, July 12, 2011
Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A trip to Ooty in mid August

Hi...

Rains are so scarce sadly and we have not been witnessing any rains at all. So, Ooty now might be a good time. I would strongly suggest not to take the last bus to Ooty as the travel time would be 4 - 5 hours and you might land up at a very odd time there.

You may take a day trip on the Pykara / Mudumalai route, which all the travel operators provide. The following is a copy from my earlier posts,

Mudumalai is 60 kms from Ooty and can generally be done as a day tour from Ooty. The normal tour plan would be to leave Ooty in the morning, go via the sight seeing spots of Pykara, 5th Mile, 7th Mile (shooting spots) etc and reach Mudumalai in the afternoon. The Mudumalai park times are from 7 AM to 9 AM and 4 PM to 6 PM. You may buy a ticket in the counter outside for an elephant/van drives. You can return back to Ooty after the safari, which I would be for 20 - 25 mins(the rides in the park). In case of staying overnight, there are government guest houses inside which you need to book in advance, the contact number is 0423 - 2445971, the Mudumalai Booking Office. There are care takers / cooks in the guest houses and you need to pay directly for the food. You also have the options of private guest houses and lodges around Mudumalai & Masinagudi, which will offer a package for accommodation, safari and food. The govt run guest houses may be a little basic in facilities, but the prices would be attractive and from my experience has some very good chefs who can cook anything to your taste.

As for the tea estate visit/stay, Rajan's idea is right and you might check those.

Regards

Prasanna

Edited: 9:39 am, July 12, 2011
New Delhi
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A trip to Ooty in mid August

Thanks for kind suggestions.

Do anybody have some idea about Govt. Holiday Home in Ooty. I have booked my accommodation there but don't know how is it. I will reach Ooty on 15th night and have my return reservation on 19th evening from Bangalore. As this is my first trip to south so please help me in deciding itinerary so that I do not miss any good places.

Regards

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A trip to Ooty in mid August

Hi..

Have you booked in the Tamil Nadu Tourism Development Corpn's guest house at Tamilazhagam which is in Charring Cross. Assuming it is so, you may just walk across to the bazaar area where you will see a lot of travel agencies. These will typically offer you sight seeing trips in Ooty either on a per vehicle basis or a shared coach basis. The itineraries would be Ooty - Connoor day trip, Pycara - Mudumalai Trip etc. The shared coaches might cost around Rs.150 to 200. In case of a private van, it may cost you around 800 - 1300 depending on the itinerary. You may opt for one and do a complete sight seeing trip. This might be economical.

Feel free to revert for any clarifications..

Regards

Prasanna

ROORKEE in...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A trip to Ooty in mid August

Dear Prasanna ji,

You have already helped me.Now I want to know,how is the weather in Ooty these days?I am to reach Ooty on 26th by evening and will be staying on 27,28th July and will be back on 29th morning.Should I take woolan cloths for Ooty?Please guide me about the temprature of Ooty?

Regards,Yours Sincerely,Dr."Arun",09412070351

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A trip to Ooty in mid August

Hi Arun,

According to the report in the local daily today, Nilgiris has recorded a rainfall fo 1100 mm in the last 3 days and the temperature had gone down upto 12 degrees. This is yesterday's scenario. IMO, it might not be any different during the period of your travel also. Hence, be sufficiently armed with thick woollens and sweat wears.

Regards

Prasanna

Bengaluru, India
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A trip to Ooty in mid August

Hi, thanks for all the information as posted...this will helpme also once i visit Ooty in Mid of August...can anybody help me about weather in Ooty and any god places around ooty and some gud resturants name for food ..and any gud place for shopping also

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A trip to Ooty in mid August

Hi CShekhar,

Would suggest you to have a look at the Ooty destination page for reviews on hotels and restaurants and for things to do, if you dig a little deeper into this Ooty thread, you have a lot of information. You also need to indicate what kind of shopping you are looking at.

Regards

Prasanna

New Delhi
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A trip to Ooty in mid August

Hello All

any latest update about rainfall/ weather in Ooty?

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A trip to Ooty in mid August

Hi...

Today's Ooty climate is that it is very cold and has been drizzling (not raining heavily) continuously.

Regards

Prasanna