We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ooty - Lakeview Hotel

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Ooty - Lakeview Hotel

Planning to visit Ooty this December. I had stayed at Lakeview Hotel some 13 years ago and it was a reasonably good hotel. I am interested in knowing how it is today, whether it is still well maintained and well run?

Secondly, I heard that last year there were large scale landslides in Ooty during late November and Ooty was cut off completely. Was road access cut off even from the Mysore end? (or is there any particular route that is more prone to landslides?) Are land slides a common occurrence during that time of the year. Having a tight holiday schedule, I can't afford to get stuck up hence a bit concerned about whether or not to visit Ooty in December.

Also, is Dodabetta accessible in December?

Thanks, in advance, for your responses.

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ooty - Lakeview Hotel

Hi

Lakeview is reasonably maintained and a decent budget option.

Traditionally, early November is the scheduled onset of the North East Monsoons, the monsoon which affects most parts of TN and AP. Under normal conditions it should receed by end November .

Last year, the rains were a bit late (end November) and yes, they created havoc with a couple of land slides completely cutting off Ooty for a few days beginning 29th November until the first week of December. Whetehr landslides are common occurance or not - depends on the intenstity of the monsoon.

No, the Gudalur and Kalhatti sections were not affected and access into Ooty from the Karnataka side was intact.

Dodabetta is in the heart of Ooty and is accessible all through the year.

regards

Rajan

2. Re: Ooty - Lakeview Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 05, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Ooty (Udhagamandalam)