We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice

London
3 posts
Save Topic
advice

I will stay in Madurai for 3/4 days in or around Anna nagar.Are there any budget hotels,good one.And interesting places to visit

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice

You can check www.yatra.com which offers online booking even for Budget Hotel accommodation but i have not idea about the areas.

Madurai is ever famous for its Meenakshi Temple which is very large and a old temple, this city is most popular as a Religious Place rather than anything else in the whole of South India. Dont miss this place as this Temple is treated as powerful source of power from the Goddess Durga.

If you have time you can visit Rameshwaram its 150kms from Madurai and the border sea shore of India (extreme down south)

And for your information SriLanka is just 24kms from this place Rameswaram.

As you appear to be an Indian and you should be knowing of Ramayan Epic that Rameswaram has a important role in the epic and Lord Hanuman laid the bridge with Stones from this place to Srilanka to fight with Ravana and save Sita.

For more info. you may check google you can find lots of info.

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
61 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice

Rantaprasad,

Please recommend a route from Ooty to Madurai . i don't mind to take a car.

I understand it is at least two day trip, is it worth, or should I consider arriving by other mean .

Beside the temple, are there other major wortvisiting atractions in Madurai?

Thanks.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice

Adomvatik Ooty to Coimbatore is approx 105 kms and takes 2hrs by Car. From Coimbatore there are overnight Trains to Madurai directly. The Train starts from Coimbatore at 10.45pm and reaches Madurai at 5.00am

The best religious place nearer to Madurai and worth visiting would be Rameshwaram at a distance of 150kms. It takes approx 2.5 hrs journey and plenty of buses or even take a Car from Maduri to Rameshwaram ad back. You may check google for more details on the Rameswaram history and its links to Ramayan.

It is not correct that it takes 2 days from Ooty to Madurai. Infact if your budget permits i would suggest to take a car from Ooty to Madurai - Rameshwaram and drop back at Coimbatore. If you have a different plan from Madurai then the above may not work.

India
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: advice

hi,

you can visit some of the travel website like www.yatra.com or http://www.swagattours.com I have also visited Ooty. This is really a natural and beautiful place.

5. Re: advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 19, 2009