We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 17 too young to travel India - Tamil Nadu

Which Madurai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Western Australia...
Level Contributor
236 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Is 17 too young to travel India - Tamil Nadu

Hi, my daughter and a friend was to do volunteer work in India through Projects Aboard. They are interested in working in an orphanage in India, mainly Madurai, in Tamil Nadu. They plan on doing 4 weeks organised volunteer work, then spending 3 weeks travelling by themselves ... destinations unknown, but around India. I am feeling uncomfortable about this, as I feel 17 is just too young. I am happy with the volunteering side of things as that is all organised and they will be staying with a host family, picked up from airport etc and have contact numbers at hand in case of emergency.

I would be interested in peoples thoughts. My daughter is quite mature, but at the end of the day she is only 17 as is her friend. (both girls)

Thank you.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Dalhousie, India
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Is 17 too young to travel India - Tamil Nadu

being headstrong comes naturally at that age, part of d package deal :-)

An informative travelogue blog pg by a woman who traveled along in India, which frankly underscores the fact that she would've had more fun, and avoided irritants if she had been part of a Group. (the irritants would've been even more if she was a teen)

onmywayrtw.com/rtw-travel-blog/asia/india/tr…

Edited: 4:43 am, April 30, 2012
12. Re: Is 17 too young to travel India - Tamil Nadu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, August 02, 2012
Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is 17 too young to travel India - Tamil Nadu

i suggest to travel in group. atleast 3 people. so that you can be bit stong to think that your kid is safe.

the trip should be wonderful.

happy trip

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is 17 too young to travel India - Tamil Nadu

Thanks again for all your great advice. I am now very comfortable with her trip and with the maturity she is showing about the planning of it all.

Her itinerary is still a work in progress, I would love to post it for any comments as soon as we have something more in concrete. She is basically wanting to to head to Kerala.

Just a quick question, I have her prescription for Malaria, Doxy. I have done a bit of research and it looks like it would be better if she bought her tablets in India as they are cheaper and easy to get. Saves her having to take so many over with her. Is this information correct, do you think its better for her to buy them there? She needs 100 tablets. Will she need a prescription?

Thanks again.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is 17 too young to travel India - Tamil Nadu

It would be cheaper here and availability would not be an issue. It is better she has a prescription as some drugs are only sold against them. Also have the composition of the drug handy as the trade names might not be the same.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is 17 too young to travel India - Tamil Nadu

Seventeen is very young. I have a 19-year old daughter and a couple of years ago, I would have been quite uncomfortable with the idea of her going off on her own to a far away country on a backpacking trip. Although I would be less worried if there were two of them, and less worried if they were staying in good hotels rather than budget student dorms.

In India, some of the low-budget accommodation can be shady. Local transport by buses and trains involve some roughing it out. Choose a good travel company where you feel confident that they will get reliable drivers and someone looking after them.

My advice as a parent is more conservative than daring, our children are everything to us and it is foolish to be "brave", only to regret it later. I would rather be stupid, afraid and safe when it comes to my daughter. She has done a lot of camping and travel, but usually in mixed-gender groups from her college where I am more confident about safety. At worst in these things they can get into romantic escapades :) but not a serious safety threat.

So I would encourage your daughter to come to India, with her friend, but to stay in better quality accommodation in decent places, and not to go too far off the beaten path doing weird treks and camping and what not. Do a day cruise on a houseboat instead of overnight.

While India is generally safe, and Kerala safer than say, Delhi, it is not safe for young women to be out at night on their own in remote areas anywhere in the world. The world isn't as nice as we would like it to be. And that, in a nutshell, is my parental view of the matter :)

Edited: 12:50 am, September 06, 2012
Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is 17 too young to travel India - Tamil Nadu

better to have the composition as doxycycline come with different brands here in india.

and also can visit a local doctor for any opinion. not that tuff... not required to have pre appointment also :P

as she will be interating with locals it wont be a tuff task also.

18. Re: Is 17 too young to travel India - Tamil Nadu

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, July 30, 2013
Mumbai
Level Contributor
361 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Is 17 too young to travel India - Tamil Nadu

You can basically get all compositions of Medicines in Metros under a proper prescription.Need to check the dosage before buying.Just share the itinerary and the places where they will have stopover., accordingly we can give the inputs

20. Re: Is 17 too young to travel India - Tamil Nadu

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 01, 2014