We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madurai--Ramesvaram

Bronx, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Madurai--Ramesvaram

The reference works I've looked at are very fuzzy about getting from Madurai to Ramesvaram, and the Indian Railways timetable site seems permanently blocked (target of hackers?). Can anyone advise me about the best way of making the trip? I'm in my eighties, so I'm not doing hard travel these days. I would even spring for a luxury car and driver, if that were the best way to get to the Ramesvaram temples. But I was sort of hoping there would be a fast train with a first-class car going in the morning, with another going backin the evening. I tried to make this trip in 1993 but was blocked by the rioting that threw all of India's transportation system into turmoil. It's time to get it done.

New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Madurai--Ramesvaram

Hi,

I am not sure of the exact train schedule, but I've heard at's an easy enough train ride. If you know where you are going to be staying in Madurai, it's probably easiest to have your hotel travel desk make the arrangements. They will at the very least be ablet to tell you the schedule.

Don't know what your budget is, but Hotel Supreme is decent budget/midrange place and has a travel service. Their website is www.supremehotels.com. There is also a Taj hotel just outside of Madurai up on the hill...had dinner there, it was very nice...and I'm certain they would be able to make your arrangements for you.

Madurai is lovely....

New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Madurai--Ramesvaram

The hotel Royal Court in Madurai was a close to, but a bit more upscale than the Hotel Supreme, but not as high-end as the Taj. It also has a website:

www.royalcourtindia.com

Madurai
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Madurai--Ramesvaram

Hi,

Madurai to Rameswaram train service is temporarily not available due to broad guage conversion work. The work upto Manamadurai has been completed and the remaining work has to be done. The only option is now Road. Either you can move by Car or bus. But its advisible to go by Taxi that will costs around 45 US $. Lots of Taxi operators are in Madurai. Ig you need further help do drop me a mail.

San Diego
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Madurai--Ramesvaram

Has the repair the track been completed, and has the train service from Madhurai to Ramesvaram resumed?

London
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Madurai--Ramesvaram

As far as I know track has not been repaired, so you would need to take a taxi to Manamadurai (about 40 km) and catch a train there.

Perhaps Maduraikaran can update us on where to find a reasonably priced taxi to Rameswaram?

I imagine it should be about 1500 Rs, correct?

another question how much we should expect to pay for a taxi

and/or riksha from the airport to the city centre?

Yog
Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Madurai--Ramesvaram

Just 1 week back i went to rameswaram from madurai.

I travelled in a so called hi-tech deluxe 18 seater mini-bus. I travelled by sharma travels.

There is no provision to keep luggages.

But it is a hell. No pushback. The driver promised that he will departure from madurai at 9.00 P.M. But to my disappointment he roamed each and every street in madurai until all the seats gor occupied. At last he departured from madurai 11.00 P.m and reached rameswaram at 2.30 A.m.

Dont ever travel by 18 seater mini bus.

I saw the railway upgrading work across the pamban bridge. I think it will take atleast 1 month to complete the work if they do the work sincerly.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,643 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madurai--Ramesvaram

YOG are you joking by saying that the work will be completed in one month if done sincerely, this is no Singapore, it will take atleast another 1-2 years bare minimum.

Chennai
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Madurai--Ramesvaram

Folks:

Any idea whether the Madurai-Rameswaram train work is complete? or is road still the best option?

Ramesh

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,643 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Madurai--Ramesvaram

Not yet, it would take another minimum 6-9 months or more. Road is the ONLY option

Baroda
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Madurai--Ramesvaram

Indian Railway enquiry counter comfirmed that the Rameshwar Express connecting Chennai amd Rameswaram which passes thru' Madurai has resumed

They even offered to book my "Confirmed" reservation tickets by that train no 6713

It seems that the broad gauge conversion work is finally over