We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping for clothes in South India

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
94 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping for clothes in South India

Hello tripadvisors!

I am off to South India in a couple of weeks and getting my baggage ready. I’ve been recommended to use long, covering clothes during my trip for several reasons (not to get stared, not to get bitten by moskitos and avoid getting sunburnt!) . The problem is that here in Europe it is winter season, ie. No summer clothes available, let alone specific ones (long but flowy ones to not melt in the heat).

Hence, I thought the easiest was going to be to bring the summer clothes I have that would be useful for the trip but mainly to buy there summer clothes upon arrival (largest choice, more adapted to the weather, cheaper and “country appropriate”). I arrive at Chennai airport although sleep in Mamallapuram during the first nights. Would Mamallapuram be an OK place to stock on clothes?

My route then takes me to Pondicherry and Thanjavur. :)

Thanks in advance!

T Nagar, Ranganathan Street
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Main Bazaar
Flea & Street Markets
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping for clothes in South India

You could vist a fabric emporium and maybe get some Salwar kameez ready made. Or buy silk or cotton fabric and get your driver to take you to a tailor to make clothes using some of your existing items as templates - this worked really well for me, with shirts made overnight and costing £8 for good cotton and £2 foir the tailor! Mind you, I also had a couple of jackets beautifully tailored and they cost about £100, incl fabric. But they ARE excellent quaility cloth and tailoring

Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping for clothes in South India

Good quality Summer cotton clothing is available in most cities across South India, thanks to some nice clothing chains like FAB INDIA, Life Style, Globus, Shopper Stop etc.

If you have time for a couple of hours at Chennai, head down to T.Nagar and you can do all your shopping there in a few hours.

Else, outlets like Fab India at Pondy may help you with your summer wear.

Lastly, it is not summer yet in South India (Chennai, which is usually the hottest, hovers around 29 during the day and 19 at night), and the two weeks that you land in here will not be summer either. Summer really starts sometime during mid April

Edited: 10:38 pm, January 08, 2012
Chennai (Madras...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping for clothes in South India

You can try off prIce branded clothing at fashion flash nelson manickam road in Chennai for summer wear and winter wear clothing

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping for clothes in South India

buying in pondicherry is the best option if not traversing through chennai.

and also you can get good summer cloths as the region is warm most part the year.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping for clothes in South India

You may not have options in Mahabalipuram but Pondicherry will have options. If you happen to stay there on a weekend, just check the famous Sunday Market, an interesting window shopping experience and decent stuff. Those may also be to your liking.

6. Re: Shopping for clothes in South India

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 10, 2014