We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Present road conditions in Tamilnadu

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Present road conditions in Tamilnadu

Can anyone who has done the Bangalore - Pondicherry stretch recently, tell me how the road condition is?

Thanks

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,049 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Present road conditions in Tamilnadu

Hi

Apart from the 4 lane highways, the conditions of the smaller highways differ dramatically, especially after the rains. I am talking about the condition of the roads about 3 to 4 months ago (July 2011), before the recent rains . .

Option 1

Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arani-Gingee-Tindivanam-Puduchery: Bangalore to Krishnagiri is an awesome stretch, clear 4 lanes with dividers. The rest of the route is average, though single lane and does have a diversions for road work.

Option 2

Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Chengam-Thiruvannamalai-Villupuram-Puduchery. Clear 4 lane highways with dividers until Krishnagiri and average to poor conditions of roads on the rest of the stretch. Some sections were really bad and a low strung car like a Civic will have a knocky ride.

regards

Rajan

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Present road conditions in Tamilnadu

Thanks Rajan,

I'd heard the road conditions have worsened over the last few months.

The route I was considering was the one via thiruvannamalai, gingee, tindivanam. I was hoping to cover the distance in around 6 hours, factoring bad roads, as its around 310-315 kms..

a) Would you recommend I stick to my plan or do it via the one you suggested - along Villupuram? OR

b) do the vellore route, which is almost 370 kms? I realise I can get to vellore in under 3 hrs due to good roads.

Thanks again

Chennai
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,049 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Present road conditions in Tamilnadu

Hi

If you are keen on Thiruvannamalai, there are other options which are Banglore - Krishnagiri- Vellore-Polur-tiruvanamalai-tindivanam-Pondicherry.

The variation here if you want to avoid Tindivanam would be, Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Porur - Tiruvannamalai - Tirukoilur-Villupurum-Pondicherry.

The stretch between Arani and Gingee (option 1 on my first post) used to be a nightmare . . .

Option 2 (my first post) is OK if you are doing this on a SUV, otherwise you are in for a rough ride . . .

regards

Rajan

Edited: 8:41 am, December 05, 2011
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Present road conditions in Tamilnadu

Hi,

No particular preference for Thiruvannamalai.

Spoke to a friend who also suggested vellore arcot, arani, and some place (he couldn't remember) through which to reach Tindivanam. He mentioned that the krishnagiri - thiruvannamalai is really bad.

And no i dont have an SUV. Its a Polo, which is lower than other hatches. :)

My aim is to make it to leave bangalore by 6 AM and reach pondicherry by lunch, 12-1 PM, without being too drained.

thanks.

Chennai
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,049 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Present road conditions in Tamilnadu

Oh, OK, then i guess it is option 1. Have a safe ride.

regards

Rajan

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Present road conditions in Tamilnadu

Thank you Rajan,

Nice talking to you.

Have a great christmas season.. :)

Bangalore
Level Contributor
10 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Present road conditions in Tamilnadu

Hi Ashwin,

Kindly share your experience of driving to and from Pondicherry. I am planning a trip towards the end of month and your advice is greately solicited.

Regards

Naresh

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Present road conditions in Tamilnadu

Dear Naresh,

I too am driving only then. :)

bangalore
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Present road conditions in Tamilnadu

can u kindly let me know the alternate rou te bangalor e to pondicherry as we are going next week

we are elderly persons and would prefer a better route and also the road to be better not with pot holes etc

thanks in advance

jaya

Chennai
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,049 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Present road conditions in Tamilnadu

Your best bet under current circumstances would be: Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arani-Gingee-Tindivanam-Puduchery

There are some rough sections which you cannot avoid,for example, the stretch between Aarani and Gingee was really bad . . . (unless you don't mind a longer route Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Kanchipuram - Villupuram - Pondy).

regards

Rajan