We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple seeking help with itinerary Kerela and Tamil Nadu

New Zealand
14 posts
Save Topic
Couple seeking help with itinerary Kerela and Tamil Nadu

My wife and I are in our early 60s.We arrive in Fort Cochin on 28 Sept, there for 6 days ,and then doing voluntary work at a school in Cochin for 4 weeks.

We would very much appreciate some assistance in planning our itinerary for the balance of our stay, ie 6 weeks.We would rather a more leisurely stay at interesting places where we can get the feel for the area and culture etc, than rush thru too many places as tourists.We enjoy all things natural including nice beaches,the arts and culture. We would be happier in guest houses and homestays etc rather than resort style accommodation.We fly into and out of Kochi Airport and are not sure whether we should experience Kerela first, followed by Tamil Nadu or go straight to Tamil Nadu and finish off back in Kerela.

Any advice that will assist with an interesting itinerary would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple seeking help with itinerary Kerela and Tamil Nadu

Cochin is fairly centrally located and well connected by both rail and road to the rest of Kerala. Check this forum out for some of the things to do in Cochin. It is only a few hours drive to the backwaters, as well as to Munnar and Thekkady-all of which are worth a visit. You can also easily do Varkala and Kovalam from there

Will you have weekends off? If, so then you can easily travel on weekends.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple seeking help with itinerary Kerela and Tamil Nadu

The Hornbill Camp( check their site out) at the Thattekad bird sanctuary is also a good place to add to your list.

New Zealand
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple seeking help with itinerary Kerela and Tamil Nadu

Thankyou very much for your input, much appreciated.

Yes we do have the weekends off.

The places I thought could be of interest in Kerela included Munnar, Thekkad, Kumarkoam, Mysore, Karnataka, Varkala, Kovalam, Varkala and maybe Kumbakunam but I have no idea what order or if there are other more interesting places that we should not miss.

Also in Tamil Nadu I had earmarked the following places of interest, Chennai, Mahabalipuram, Pondy, Tranquebqr, Tanjore, Thanjavur, Chettinad, Kumbakunam,Karaikudi, Mysore Dindigul and Kanyakumari, but once again unsure about what order, what to leave out and is there any other not to be missed locations.

I don't know if you can advise me further or not.

Once again many thanks.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple seeking help with itinerary Kerela and Tamil Nadu

Happy to help out on most of you areas of interest! In case I can't, many others here will chip in, I'm sure.

Munnar, Thekkady, Kumarakom, Varkala and Kovalam are all easily accessed from Cochin-most within 3-4 hours away. They are all in the province or state of Kerala.

Mysore is in Karnataka state and an overnight journey by rail/bus from Cochin.

The other places that you mention are in Tamil Nadu state. Pondy is definitely worth visiting,as is Thanjavur.

So these are the three broad groupings from a travel point of view. You need to plan out the amount of time you have available and try to club some of the more remote places into one or two trips,and do the nearby ones over the weekends-it's not difficult to do those over the weekends.

If you study a map you will get a better idea about distances, and then just ask away!

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple seeking help with itinerary Kerela and Tamil Nadu

Chennai and Mahabalipuram are close by.Thanjuvur is the new name for Tanjore-they are both the same!

6. Re: Couple seeking help with itinerary Kerela and Tamil Nadu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, September 01, 2009
7. Re: Couple seeking help with itinerary Kerela and Tamil Nadu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 01, 2010