We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tailor in Udaipur

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
Tailor in Udaipur

I have traveled to many countries and often have custom tailored shirts made. I visited several tailor shops in Udaipur. In the tourist area I found that the selection of good quality cotton fabrics was very limited. I had a sport jacket made at the Ganguar Botique and was satisfied with the work, although the price was high ($140). When I asked about having shirts made, they wanted me to give them one of my off the rack shirts to copy. Not exactly a custom tailored approach.

While exploring the city I came to the Bapu Bazar area, in the 'locals' part of town. It is a very interesting area and has many fabric and tailor shops. I purchased a nice selection of cotton fabrics at Raymonds at #90 Bapu Bazar. I took them to New Tailor, very nearby, at #208 and had three shirts made. They did the work in 2 days and it was execellent quality. The workmanship was great and the price was significanlty lower than the shops in the tourist area.

During our travels, my girlfriend lost her prescription sunglasses. She had new ones made at a vision shop in Bapu Bazar for $40 dollars. The work took 24 hours and she was very happy with the results.

It pays to get outside the congested tourist area for some of your shopping and makes your appreciation of Udaipur much broader and complete!

jaisalmer
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tailor in Udaipur

Thanks for the detail post ,its very usefull ,

Udaipurmagic can give full information .

I think the price changes are depend on quality ,standard the person or shop etc

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tailor in Udaipur

Hi Maguiredan,

I reading third post of yours and it can be helpful for the tourist . Your post about miniature painitung is also very much TRUE . And this post clear different between tourist shops and branded shop.

Tourist shopkeepers are expensive compare to bapu bazar . You stayed 6 days its enough time to explore udaipur . Its enough time to stich a shirt with normal tailor shop. Tourist shops in tourist area charge for extra quick service & 6 hours)

Yes there can be some honest and some dishonest shopkeepers in tourist area but one things that they interact tourists much more hence they quick to understand need of tourist.

thanks for sharing your experience here in TA

Edited: 5:46 am, January 17, 2013
3. Re: Tailor in Udaipur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 19, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Udaipur