We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water in the lakes

Melbourne
Level Contributor
50 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Water in the lakes

Has anyone visited Udaipur recently and can report on the rains/level of the lakes?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Water in the lakes

This year monsoon is going well accross rajsthan, heard abt rain at udaipur, lakes must be full of water.

Udaipur, India
Level Contributor
14 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water in the lakes

Hi, I am a resident of Udaipur itself. The rains these days are good enough with a pleasant atmosphere. The level of Lakes is not till brim but still enough water is there to maintain the beauty of Udaipur. The boat rides at every place is available. Moreover, the rainwater is continously fed into the lakes & there levels are going high these days.

If you are planning to visit Udaipur, Please complete the program till February to enjoy a good vacation.

Do mail me your program when u r in Udaipur. I would like to meet you......

Hope this would help in planning your itinerary.

Best Regards,

HS

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water in the lakes

I was in Udaipur and even though the worrisome finger of land from Amet Haveli side is creeping upto the Lake Palace, there was plenty of water flowing into the lake from the recent rains. And its been known to fil up even as late as end Septmeber so we have plenty of monsoon to go now.

Cornwall England
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water in the lakes

What is the water level like now that the monsoon is over? Thanks

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,382 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water in the lakes

I saw several photos on flickr with water in the lakes, posted this October.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
143 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water in the lakes

I just returned from a trip to Rajasthan including Udaipur, and here's my first-hand report on the water level in the lakes, port my stay there on 18-20 October.

The good news is, the lakes (Pichola and Fateh Sagar) arent dried up, and still have a lot of water in them. Bad news is, it hasnt rained satisfactorily for last 2 years, so the levels are low.

Pichola has just about enough water for the boats to run their course - leasure rides, trips to Jag mandir from City Palace. However, the City Palace has stopped the pleasure boat ride (half an hour around the lake) siting low water levels. Only their full boat ride (45 mins, including a halt at the jag Mandir) is operational. I was keen to take the pleasure boat, but on reaching the lake was shocked to find the levels very low, the waters have become dirty and of a sewage colour with floating debris and algae on its banks. When viewed from the Monsoon palace, I could see that the western side of the lake was almost fully dry with the lake bed visible, only the eastern side had water. Needless to say we dropped the idea of a pleasure boat ride. Locals said that when full, the lake levels almost touch the windows on the lowest floor of the CIty palace.. but now it was several metres below.

Fateh Sagar was slightly better.. even with the low water level it looked beautiful and clean. THe boat ride to Nehru park is still operational. The walkway from Nehru park proper to the restaurant is normally over a stilt on the lake surface, but there was dry ground till the restaurant. This lake also has its western side dried up.

Verdict: the lakes are still worth a visit and dont look far from the pictures posted on this site (of Lake palace with aravali hills in the background). I will shortly post a few pics showing how full the lakes are.

Cornwall England
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water in the lakes

Thank you very much for the information please let us know when you post your photographs. Photos on flickr show the water levels very low but as long as there is some water the reflections are still there especially at night. We are confirming our plans to visit Udaipur in January and its best to know in advance rather than be dissapointed on arrival.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
143 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water in the lakes

Ok the pictures I uploaded has now been published on this website. Here is the link

tripadvisor.com/…18682080

The next 5 photos in the stream will also show you lake levels of Pichola and Fateh Sagar.

Cornwall England
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water in the lakes

Thanks Srshenoy you have been a real help

10. Re: Water in the lakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, October 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Udaipur