We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jodhpur Experience

Jodhpur, India
4 posts
Save Topic
Jodhpur Experience

Hi All,

As someone who is associate with the travel trade in Jodhpur, It is always an endeavor to ensure travelers and guests from around the world are treated to the authentic Jodhpur experience and warm hospitality.

In-spite of the best efforts, at times there are things and instances which may dampen your travels and memories of Jodhpur. We are hereby looking to hear from you firsthand who may have had bad experiences (like eve teasing, lack of cleanliness, public toilets, intrusive hawkers, local guides and so on) in public places while sightseeing, during heritage walks, travelling, etc in Jodhpur (not including private setups like restaurants, hotels, spas, etc)

It would be a great help if you could share your experiences here, so we can make constructive efforts to make the blue city more tourist friendly and ensure your next visit here becomes even more memorable.

Shine my Blue City

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jodhpur Experience

What exactly is eve teasing ?

Jodhpur, India
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jodhpur Experience

Eve teasing is a euphemism used in India for public sexual harassment of women by men.. more like stalking or inappropriate behaviour at large.

montreal
Level Contributor
203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jodhpur Experience

i was in Jodhpur with my doughter-good looking tall,blond,only one thing that young men were asking taking picture with her,so she was joking that she felt like movie star and some woman asking me if she see someone-so evidently i could marry her -lol,overall nobody were bad to us or bothered ,we felt secure there ,so im surprise listen bad things happened to woman now,in Jodhpur people behave differently from Delhi ,Mumbai or Goa,have more pride,not pushy, felt like we are in defferent country-really nice, cleaner than other parts of India ,we were travelling alone,organize tours,hotels etc

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jodhpur Experience

A Rajasthani culture gives you different feelings once you arrived in Rajasthan and jodhpur is known as culture capital of Rajasthan. The level of respect towards Guests are higher with word " Padhoro sa..." a warm welcome - a city of great hospitality ..

Yogendra

Jodhpur, India
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jodhpur Experience

thank you for your reply. Great to know you had a

good time in Jodhpur :)

Jodhpur, India
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jodhpur Experience

Thank you Yogendra ji. We strive to maintain this reputation of Jodhpur.

MATHURA
Level Contributor
60 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jodhpur Experience

I visited Jodhpur on 07-11 April'13. I found Jodhpur better than Jaipur (more planned, more organized, less polulated, police not at all harassing type unlike in Jaipur where you'll invariably jump signal and police will jump on you - in Jodhpur people and police both helps and gude you.

Having said this, here are my suggestions to improve Jodhpur tourism overall:

1.0> There is no clear direction for going towards Mehrangarh fort. We landed up in front of clock-tower, someone guided us towards a narrow, tremendously crowded alley, which lead nowhere. Coming out of that alley - how I did only I knew.

2.0> There is a tendency of local shopkeepers (and local people as a whole) to answer in Marwari when being asked something in Hindi. This is a problem; I faced in various shops; I couldn't follow what they were telling and was repeating the same questions much to their irritation when some good samaritan stepped in and explained my point to them in Marwari. What I came to know later from my friends in FB that this is a conscious effort; even when some of Jodhpuraites knew Hindi they prefer to speak Marwari. My request - kindly refrain from doing this with outsider tourists. If there is an internal cultural friction within Rajasthan, let this not get spilled out to the tourists .

3.0> Road condition from Bilara to Jodhpur - This is a highway (NH-112). My request to Jodhpurites - kindly raise some pulbic opinion to gear up administration so that they start improving this condition of this road-segment. Current conditon does not fit into highway standard. Had the road conditon from Barr crossing (i.e. where NH-112 starts from NH-14 which moves onwards to Pali) is better, we could think of another Jodhpur visit. I had tremendous headache while driving this last stretch from Bilara to Jodhpur. of couse I was lucky to sight a black buck near roadside.

4.0> Do urge RTDC to have some good motels, restaurants along NH-112. This highway is very dry. It gives some goosebumps to think what'll happen if tyre punctures at this stretch. In night-time, wherever we stopped en-route, we found the shops openly selling local liquors in huge earthen pitcher pots. Are they outsiders? Or are they the local Bishnois? Anyhow, it does not give a safe feeling. Patrolling in this highway needs improvement.

5.0> Traffic in Jodhpur has a tendency to suddenly overtake from wrong side. Driving needs extra caution. At Sardarpura market a bike rammed right side of my car, but then left peacefully with traffic police in front. Now thats good also - a similar incident in Jaipur would have resulted in my own monetary loss.

6.0> Lastly, put collective pressure on M/s. L&T and NHAI to finish whatever they are doing (or they want to do) on NH-14 between Beawar-Barr-Sendra. Its public money being spent there and as of now, this single lane stretch is a death-trap if one increases speed or a single reckless overtake.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jodhpur Experience

I have visited Jodhpur for 4 times in the past few months. Stayed in Sardarpura and used to eat in the same neighbourhood. I particular liked to eat at Harvest Restaurant (pure veggie) on the 9th Road (between C and D). They open all day from 11 am till 10 pm. Their food are delicious and not expensive. Best value is their Maggi noodles (never have it anywhere else in India). Thali during lunch time for Rs125.- with ice cream! Good pizza that I even visited them during the hot summer time! Better go early for dinner as it get packed easily!

9. Re: Jodhpur Experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 01, 2014