We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Necessary to reserve car/driver in advance?

Which Jodhpur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
333 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Necessary to reserve car/driver in advance?

We will be traveling in Rajasthan this February, mostly using trains to get around, but there are 2 days we will want to hire a car and driver for - from Agra to Bandakui (via Fatehpur Sikri) and from Jodhpur to Udaipur. Is it necessary to reserve those in advance or should I just wait and arrange it through my hotels when I arrive in Agra and Jodhpur?

Thank you for your help.

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Necessary to reserve car/driver in advance?

Hi seattlered

wish you happy new year !!

It s depend on you. Not necessary but you can keep some cotact with you so when you arrive to the city you can check with them for transfers

this is for having an alternate.

if you are in expensive hotels the cost for a transfers can be 30% - 40% more than a tour operator rates.

if you are in budget hotels check the car condition.

have a Good trip

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
333 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Necessary to reserve car/driver in advance?

Udaipurmagic - thank you for taking the time to answer both of my questions. It sounds like it wouldn't hurt to have some names before I arrive.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Necessary to reserve car/driver in advance?

Makes no sense to hire a car from Agra to Bandikui. The car will come from Jaipur or Agra and you will have to pay for the empty back to the starting point. Better to just drive Agra to Jaipur

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Necessary to reserve car/driver in advance?

From Agra we hired a car and driver from Tourist Resthouse that as well as being a resthouse has a taxi service and from Jodhpur to Udaipur Rajwadi Rajasthan tours. Both were reliable and their prices were cheaper than the others.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Necessary to reserve car/driver in advance?

You can book your cars when you get there. Check with your hotels or research a bit online. Prices may vary a bit so please use these only as a guide.

Car Category: Compact: (tata indica): Rs.7-8 per km. 250 kms minimum per day. (Minimum per day approx Rs.1,500-2,000)

Car Category: Economy SUV (Chevy Tavera, Mahindra Scorpio) or Economy Sedan (Tata Indigo, Mahindra Logan): Rs.10-12 per km. 250 kms minimum per day. (Minimum per day: Rs.2,500,3000)

Car Category: Luxury SUV (Toyota Innova): Rs.12-14 per km. 250 kms minimum per day. (Minimum per day: Rs.3,000-3,500)

The concept of car rental insurance does not exist in India so you don't have to pay additional monies for insurance.

Driver cost is typically Rs.200 per day irrespective of car category. Parking and Toll charges are extra.

The car will need to go back to where you hire it so include those kms in your calculation.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Cheers and have a great road trip

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
333 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Necessary to reserve car/driver in advance?

Npjai - thank you for pointing that out, unfortunately we can't change our itinerary at this point so we'll have to accept the extra expense.

Chrella and Tripcrafters - thank you for all the useful information, it will really help me plan this out.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
461 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Necessary to reserve car/driver in advance?

The car cost is always garage to garage. So please select the starting city accordingly.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
333 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Necessary to reserve car/driver in advance?

I'm sorry RajuIndia, but I'm not sure what you mean by that. If I want to be driven from Agra to Bandikui I assume the starting city would be Agra - is that what you mean?

Thank you

9. Re: Necessary to reserve car/driver in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 27, 2013