We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jodhpur to Jaisalmer by train

Which Jodhpur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
buenos aires
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Jodhpur to Jaisalmer by train

Hello, Im going from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer, and Im looking for the better way to go there.

I found just with Sleeper class or 3er class.

I dont know if it's a good class to be 6hs traveling.

what do you recommend me ? do it by train or taxi?

i never took a train in India and I dont have idea about the Classes

thanks!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer by train

If you check the Seat61 website, you will see descriptions and photos of the carriages, the layouts.... everything you need to know!

We used 3AC class for our overnight trip, and were perfectly happy with both the comfort and the cost. Sleeper Class is a little more basic, and we found it was more suitable if we were doing shorter trips, and by day.

You can go higher than 3AC.... for example, 2AC has the same size compartments, but without the middle berths. However, if price is a factor, you will find 3AC is just as good, and it's quite possible that the middle berths -- the least-popular -- won't be being used anyway.

buenos aires
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer by train

thanks for your information, i didnt know this website.

it's very important to me

thanks again

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer by train

You can reach Jaisalmer by road or by train.

If you are going by train, there are two options listed below:

4059 - DLI JSM EXPRESS departs Jodhpur JU 06.10 and arrives Jaisalmer JSM at 11.45; this is a 5 and a half hour day time journey. It goes through dry desert scrub and flat lands. On this train, all classes are available, First Class AC, AC 2 Tier, AC 3 Tier, non-AC Sleeper and 2nd Class sitting. The most expensive ticket (First Class AC) is Rs 900 or so; and prices come downwards from there. AC 2 Tier is Rs 550, AC 3 Tier is Rs 400, and non AC Sleeper is Rs 155.

The other option is an overnight train which saves you the cost of a hotel night. 4810 - JU JSM EXPRESS JU 23.00 JSM 05.00. This is a 6-hour journey, so you will get not get a full night's sleep. On this train, there is only AC 3-Tier Rs 400, and non-AC sleeper Rs 155.

My personal preference would be the day train, and not the night train. You can see the scenery, and it is a short ride. If you are on a tight budget you can consider the overnight train.

If you are driving, that can also be fun. The route is about 300 kms, and some people zip through it, others go slowly, but I would estimate 6 hours if you want to be safe. It will take you via the Osiyan temples. In this area, it is possible to visit small desert settlements / villages, where pottery, weaving, animal husbandry and subsistence agriculture are followed. It is a relatively untouched area of Rajasthan, and you will be able to visit some Bishnoi villages as well (the Bishnois are a local community who are caretakers of trees and animal life). If you are travelling Nov - Feb, you can see the famous migratory birds (demoiselle cranes) at Khichan. If you do this kind of road trip, then I suggest you stay overnight at Phalodi, instead of pushing on to Jaisalmer. This website will give you some idea of what this area is like: http://www.lalniwas.com/phalodiosiyan.html Gemar Singh at HACRA organises interesting tours in this area, there are good reviews here for him.

- Deepa

Edited: 11:16 pm, July 18, 2010
Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer by train

I forgot to add that with HACRA you can ask to spend the night camping in the desert or staying at a small desert settlement with local hosts.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer by train

Whats your overall Rajasthan itinerary? Where do you go after Jaisalmer? You can not plan a Rajasthan itinerary in bits and pieces. Make an overall plan. In case youre going Udaipur-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer-Bikaner-Shekhawati, it would be best to drive and keep the same car throughout. If youre doing Jodhpur-Jaisalmer-Jaipur, then train would be best.

Jodhpur, India
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer by train

Hello,

By train is more best way but you can come to jodhpur by Bus also good option it is safe.

Cheers

Chhotaram Prajapat's Homestay

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer by train

Hi Rody

You can train tickets on www.irctc.co.in or www.cleartrip.com.

This is another great website to know about the experience of travelling by train in India and it explains the different calss systems very well - www.seat61.com. You will have to click through to the India portion of the website.

Overnight trains are a wonderful way of saving on hotel costs as well as saving time since you can cover around 300 to 400 km overnight in a train that would normally have taken you a whole day. I have traveled often (even on my own) by trains and find the 2AC or 3AC allows you to meet so many people and experience the warmth of our people. Of course you also have to be careful about your things and a chain and a lock to firmly secure your bags under the berth is always recommended.

Have a great trip!!

- Manjari

buenos aires
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer by train

Im going to Delhi-Agra by train and from Delhi to Udaipur by fly.

After going Udaipur im going to Jodhpur-Jaisalmer

Jaisalmer Jaipur.

this is my trip. I'll be there just 10 days, I dont have a lot of time because im going to Kerala for 7 days too.

regards

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer by train

Hi Rody

You can take the train from Agra to Udaipur also and there is no need to go back to Delhi unless you prefer to fly. From Udaipur you will have to drive to Jodhpur. Rest of the journey Jodhpur to Jaisalmer to Jaipur can be done by trains.

Since you are doing a long trip in India and this is your first time, it would be a good idea to work with a tour operator who can do all the arrangements for you. You can look up the India tour operator association website www.iato.in for list of agents based in India who could help. You can also find several recommendations for tour operators for India, Rajasthan & Kerala here on Trip Advisor also

Hope you have a great trip!

- Manjari

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer by train

Hi,

As places indicated by you, the advisable itinerary is follows :

Day 01 Delhi - Agra

Day 02 Agra - Jaipur

Day 03 Jaipur