We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jodhpur and Pushkar - which for one nigh and which for two?

Which Jodhpur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
748 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Jodhpur and Pushkar - which for one nigh and which for two?

Hi,

I've been juggling our Rajasthan itinerary for months...I'm very happy with our choices, though I never planned a trip with so many hard choices - wish I had far more than three weeks in India.

The only thing left is that we have to choose between one night in Pushkar and two nights in Jodhpur or the other way around.

It seems that there are many opinions on this topic, and I've read quite a few. What would you recommend for a couple of 40-year olds who like sights of an architectural nature plus doing out-of-the-guidebooks stuff and eating well?

Thanks!

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jodhpur and Pushkar - which for one nigh and which for two?

Jodhpur is an interesting place, as are Udaipur and Jaisalmer(both of which my wife and I rated as the top two destinations during our visit to Rajasthan). The Mahendergarh fort in Jaipur is well worth the time, but I wouldnt suggest two days there-one day is enough. I havent been to Pushkar so cant advise you on it.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jodhpur and Pushkar - which for one nigh and which for two?

Pushkar 1 night is definitely enough. Jodhpur theres more to do so the 2 nights should go there

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jodhpur and Pushkar - which for one nigh and which for two?

Thanks, both.

Can't say I'm much less confused, but I'm leaning towards two days in Jodhpur, based on the fact that it's a bigger town, and maybe we could visit a Bishnoi village. Would half a day be enough? We are early risers, would a morning tour be a good idea, or should we wait for an afternoon tour? Any recommendations for operators (websites, maybe)?

We are going to both Udaipur and Jaisalmer, they both sound like wonderful places in very different ways.

Hunbille

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jodhpur and Pushkar - which for one nigh and which for two?

I haven't been to Pushkar, but going by what some of my friends have said, a day seems to be enough in Pushkar. I recently returned from Jodhpur after a 6 day trip.....and I had enough & more to keep me occupied!

The mammoth Meherangadh fort takes up a good half day. Besides, you can visit the Umaid Bhavan palace & Jaswant Thada. The old city of Jodhpur is awesome to walk around.....especially since you say you are interested in architecture......it's really fascinating. To top it all, you can do a lot of shopping & eat well. Try dinner on the fort terrace.....it's a one-of-it's-kind experience.

If you are interested in going to villages / the desert, I suggest you contact Mr.Ghemar Singh (website: hacra.org). We spent a day in the desert with him......no touristy stuff, but just walking around, riding a camel, playing with the kids there...he picks you up from Jodhpur & you can easily make a day of it. It was something that we really enjoyed.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Jodhpur and Pushkar - which for one nigh and which for two?

Hi

Do not fret too much. See Jodhpur during the day--Mehrangarh fort, Mandore and Palace .Take a early morning bus for Ajmer and from there to Pushkar. Jodhpur has good architecture but do visit Ajmer ,an old historical town rather not high on the tourist map. It is the rail head for Pushkar or to change the bus. You could do Ajmer by day and Pushkar by evening. A good nice AC bus to Ajmer is comfortable from Jodhpur or fast Delux buses--unless you are traveling by car.

At Pushkar stay in a quiet cottage on a farm and enjoy a good meal of your choice. I did that and loved every moment of it. The place has no website , no commerical set up, gloved waiters , partly a look of a farmstead.. A family place and ideal for what you want.

jaipur,india
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jodhpur and Pushkar - which for one nigh and which for two?

yes rajasthan is a fascinating place to visit during monsoons. pushkar lake is a great hindu town and its enough in a day . jodhpur can be tiring so better to have more time there.while you are there dont miss the osian temples....

for fun things to do in jaipur a good idea would be to take the jaipur tour bus by night and have dinner at the tiger fort. a visit to the jkk art centre another evening will be a great thing to do as you could see some dance and music from this region there.

try thye local cuisine at lmb, sankalp, motimahal, suryamahal , all at M.I. ROAD, jaipur.at pushkar you will get some good vegetarian fare.

for more ideas on travel and stay in rajasthan write to jaipurtravel@yahoo.com

HAPPY TRAVELS

Jodhpur
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jodhpur and Pushkar - which for one nigh and which for two?

Pushkar one night is good enough,if you are interested in architecture than in Jodhpur two days are required.

In the morning do Mehrangarh Fort(opens 9.00 am)and Jaswant Thara.

Take Lunch in On The Rocks or Khas Bagh

Go to Clock Tower, roam around the Bazaar and leave for Mandore Garden which is approx 8 kms from clock tower.

In Mandore Garden you will come across beautiful Cenotaphs of Maharajas and temples which has huge statues of Gods and goddesses carved out from the hill.

second day you can do village safari in the morning,in which they take you to Villages located 1/2 hour from Jodhpur.

Or you can even visit Oasian which is 65 kms from Jodhpur see ancient temples there and do camel riding in sand dunes.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jodhpur and Pushkar - which for one nigh and which for two?

Thank you so much everyone!

Tripadvisor never fails me. We have decided on two nights in Jodhpur and one night in Pushkar. I'll have to post on it when we return.

Hunbille

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Jodhpur and Pushkar - which for one nigh and which for two?

where r u staying at pushkar--need good help. Away from noise and humdrum with excellent facilities ,clean linen and towel, hot and cold shower , bath tub and transport to and fro free along with bed tea, heavy breakfast/brunch in tariff.

I over stayed at the farm cottage ,soaking in tub, a pleasure in India in a budget place

10. Re: Jodhpur and Pushkar - which for one nigh and which for two?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, October 02, 2009