We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holi 2019

Dark Side of the...
Level Contributor
39 posts
26 reviews
16 helpful votes
Holi 2019

Hi there,

I'll be in Jodhpur from March 19 to 22, can anybody please let me know where is the best place to attend the Holi? By reading previous questions, I read it's in the old town around the clock tower and the market?

I also read about "Gair Dance", where and when would it be possible to view one of these, if possible at all?

Last question, when is the "color day"? 20th or 21th?

I'm really not interested in celebrating the holi in my hotel :-)

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
326 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Holi 2019

Namaste!

Welcome to the forum post!

In my opinion Jaipur is the best place to celebrate holi.

the main day for playing colors will be on March 21.

Holi Festival in Jaipur, the capital of Rajasthan, is nothing special but the Elephant Festival. The Jaipur Elephant Festival is usually celebrated annually on the eve of or the day of Holi, featuring elephant beauty contests, elephant polo and elephant dance. It starts with a traditional procession of elephants lovingly painted and beautifully decorated with glittering ornaments and embroidered velvets.

Rajasthan Tourism organizes a special event for visitors on the lawns of Khasa Kothi Hotel on the morning of Holi as an alternative of the Elephant Festival. The event features local Rajasthani folk music and the colored powders, but no elephants. You can take part in the event even you are not a guest of the hotel.

Regards,

Shilpi Khanna

Dark Side of the...
Level Contributor
39 posts
26 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Holi 2019

Sounds great, but I'll be in Jodhpur, not Jaipur, and it's too late to change my plans :-)

Jaipur District...
Level Contributor
384 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Holi 2019

Namaste!!

Hotel in old city will be ideal to have fun on Holi festival on 21st March, 2019

Aware that People are ready to through colour on you as well. Do wear dress accordingly. You can buy Kurta Payjama for this celebration. Join the celebration with other Guest of Hotel and avoid to go alone to any unknown streets avoided also debunked people.

You can see celebration in fort of Mehran Garh.

Dance - Very popular stick dance called GER or Gair played around villages of Jodhpur. Well known Kanana Gair fair is also in month of March.

Regards

Indiarajasthantours

Dark Side of the...
Level Contributor
39 posts
26 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Holi 2019

Thanks Indiarajasthantours!

Jodhpur, India
1 post
1 review
5. Re: Holi 2019

Celebrated few days after Holi, this occasion is marked with the gathering of men from 12 distinct villages in the Godaji Village, located near the Ajmer, to play Gair.

"Old town around the clock tower and the market" - This is the only place where you have feel of HOLI in Jodhpur.

Whatsapp me if you need anything related to JOHDPUR.

Thank you

Rajkumar Mundel

+91-7020571712

Level Contributor
49 posts
6. Re: Holi 2019

21st is the day of color. Yes old city area near the clock tower is the place. Make sure you go there in a group or with some local.

Drive India By Yogi Private Tours & Taxi

7. Re: Holi 2019

Are Toursit sites likes Mehrangarh Fort and Umaid Bhawan Palace open on Holi i.e 21st March 2019. I shall be visiting for a day and would like to reschedule my plans if these sites will be closed.

Jaipur District...
Level Contributor
384 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Holi 2019

Namaste!!!

Opens after 1300 hrs and remains open till 1700 hrs in HOLI

Regards

Indiarajasthantours

Reply to: Holi 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted