We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

invited to a wedding in Jaisalmer - need advice

Which Jaisalmer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
invited to a wedding in Jaisalmer - need advice

A business contact of mine has invited me to first day of a wedding at his house. Although I've asked him who the wedding is for (him, family member) I still don't know. I will meet him for the first time the day before.

Can anyone advise me as to appropriate dress, what to expect and gift expectations?

I've organized my trpo in India around this event and want to make sure I don't unintentionally do/say something inappropriate.

Thank you.

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: invited to a wedding in Jaisalmer - need advice

Most of the ladies would be dressed in an ankle length skirt ( ghagra) and have a top with an odhni ( which is used to cover the head, neck as well as the top). Ideally if you should dress to cover your legs and be able to drape your head and wear slippers which are easy to remove.

Getting sparkling wine or better still scotch whisky may not seem an appropriate gift but would probably be well received. If you want play it safe getting expensive chocolates may be an idea.

Expect lots of people, food served very late and plenty of colour, music/noise and pageantry

2. Re: invited to a wedding in Jaisalmer - need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:05 am, April 03, 2013
Udaipur, India
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: invited to a wedding in Jaisalmer - need advice

Welcome to Rajasthan.

Shari and kilt are traditional dress in Rajasthan. Embroidered and brocaded dresses worn on people's marriages. You can also used to wear it.

Invited people like to give handicraft made things, electronic gadgets etc gifts at weddings. People do not like alcohol as a gift at weddings.

I am from Rajasthan, and it will be a great pleasure for me if I could help you during your Rajasthan visit.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: invited to a wedding in Jaisalmer - need advice

when is the wedding? my partner lives in Jaisalmer. Happy to ask his advice for you.

Boston
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: invited to a wedding in Jaisalmer - need advice

Hi

If you are landing in Delhi the best thing is to buy a Salwar Kurta or a chouridar. You can purchase one at any Mall or from Sarojini ngar if you do not want to spend too much as you may or may not wear it so frquentluy. Lehanga and Choli is comfortable too. You can see as they are dressy stuff. You can gey matching artificial jewellery too as India weddings are meant to showw off clothes and Jewels. You would need atleast too such dresses--one for musical evening or/engagement if there is one and the other for the D day. Lehangs for the main day and the other for an evening. rest you could opt for western formals during the day. But avoid halter necks or low clecage.

jaisalmer
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: invited to a wedding in Jaisalmer - need advice

good morning ,

I m from jaisalmer and if you can give me his full name with surname i can advise , if you dont want to post his information here ,you can sand me personal masage .

Dev

7. Re: invited to a wedding in Jaisalmer - need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 10, 2014