We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days at the end of the year -- where and what?

Which Jaisalmer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
4 days at the end of the year -- where and what?

Me and my cousin have four days at the end of the year and want to be in Jaisalmer. Should we spend all four days in Jaisalmer or do something else as well? Also, where should we stay in Jaisalmer? One night we definitely want to stay in a tent in the desert and enjoy the folk songs and dance. Would the Damodara Desert Camp be a good choice for one night or should we go with something else -- Royal Desert/Winds Desert? We want to stay in a camp where we can't see the lights or heard sounds of other camps. Also, a night or two in Suryagarh is very appealing.

Would two days enough in Jaisalmer and then do two days in Jodhpur or someplace else? It would be good if we can see some old ruins or tombs or nature preserves if there are any in the area.

We are coming from (morning of Dec. 29th) and flying back to Mumbai (morning of Jan 2).

India
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days at the end of the year -- where and what?

Hi ,

I think you spend 02 night in jaisalmer and 02night in jodhpur

29/12 :-arrive jodhpur and drive to manvar camp and resort ( nice camp)100kms from Jodhpur

30/12 :- Manvar to Jaisalmer

31/12 :- Jaisalmer

01/01 :- Drive from jaisalmer to Jodhpur + half Day sight seen

02/01 :- Jodhpur + half Day and depart to mumbai .

Note;- you coming jaisalmer at new year time so too much rush book hotel and desert eariler .And also i would suggest you 02 night in hotel only , 31st. night go to desert and come back to hotel .

Because due to rush in desert you will not get proper service and that i suggest you desert night in manvar resort .

On 01/01when you coming jodhpur that day half day sightseeing of jodhpur

thanks nimbera

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days at the end of the year -- where and what?

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply. In that case, do you think it would be better to go to Jaisalmer first and then come to Jodhpur? Also, can you suggest me any travel agents that can do this booking?

India
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days at the end of the year -- where and what?

I suggest you as per your requirement, or can do first night in jodhpur instead of manvar.

All most TA member work as travel agent so will contact one of them

thanks nimbera

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days at the end of the year -- where and what?

Manwar is typically designed resort - two hours. Driving distance from Jodhpur . A 4x4 jeep drive at sand dunes is very adventure

If you don'tget the accomodation at Manwar go for samsara.

jaisalmer
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days at the end of the year -- where and what?

visit the jodhpur fort on 29the dec. And visit other side as well . Drive to jaisalmer .i will sugest the 30th night in desert,damodara desr camp is away from crowd should be fun and its not new years eve so you get good care . 31dec. Is crowded ,in past many peopel not get good service cose of lots of people .

As you gone stay in suryagarh so there must be some program for new years eve. As its 5 star so should be fun .

You will be tired on 1st from new years eve so live 2and early morning to catch flight to jodhpur .

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days at the end of the year -- where and what?

So based on some of the replies above and hotel availability, here's what I will be doing:

12/29 - Arrive in Jodhpur and go straight to Jaisalmer, stop by at Pokharan perhaps? I will be staying Damodara Resorts.

12/30 - Jaisalmer, Damodara Resorts

12/31 - Half day in Jaisalmer and then off to Manvar Resort by 31st night.

1/1 - Checkout of Manvar and go sight seeing.

1/2 - Checkout of some hotel in Jodhpur and fly out in afternoon.

Questions:

1. Where do you recommend I stay in Jodhpur for the night of Jan 1st with a budget of less than Rs. 8k?

2. Jodhpur to Jaisalmer transport is being arranged by Damodara. Should I hire a full-time car and driver though for all the days knowing I won't use them too much?

3. Would the fort and other must-see things in Jodhpur be open on 1/1?

4. December 30 is the only full day I get in Jaisalmer -- what's the best way to utilise it? I want to go see the main things in Jaisalmet but then also camel ride/dunes/Indo-Pak border? Is this possible or not? I think Damodara does an evening camel ride so that could be done on the 29th itself.

Ok, all for now, I am sure I will come back with a few more Qs. Thanks for all the help so far!

India
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days at the end of the year -- where and what?

Hi,

Hotel in jodhpur i will suggest you ajit bhawan palace or bal samand palce

And all monument open on 01/01 ,so need to worry .

It will cost cheaper if you hire car for whole trip it mean from 29/12 to 01/01 on disposal and last day departure only .

If you hire car than it come in running of 1000kms and innova will charge at that time 12-14rs per kms

If you spend night in manvar than no need to spend night in desert in jaisalmer.

thanks nimbera

8. Re: 4 days at the end of the year -- where and what?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 26, 2013