We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discovering Jaisalmer

KFW
Plymouth
Level Contributor
10 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Discovering Jaisalmer

To make the most of your visit to Jaisalmer and for some indepth knowledge your really need some help. We were shown around by Vishal Bahati ( bantubhati@hotmail.com ) (Mob 9414149395). He lives within the fort and has an intimate knowledge of its history, problems and the "must see" sights. Good English. Unusual in that there was no pressure to visit selected retailers etc! Highly recommended

Montana
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Discovering Jaisalmer

Would you recommend visiting the Fort? I'll be in Chennai, India March 6-11 and am trying to decide what I should go see in such a short time frame.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,536 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discovering Jaisalmer

Que9,

Why don't you post your query on the Chennai forum,? You'll get advice about where you could go closer to Chennai. Jaisalmer is North India while Chennai is in the South, so it will turn out expensive to go to Jaisalmer. There are lots of options near Chennai too.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discovering Jaisalmer

Thanks KFW for sharing info about Vishal. I'm sure it's going to help the other travellers to Jaisalmer.

Que9: From your post it's not clear how many days you have to travel and whether you are on a business trip in Chennai.

If you write clearly the number of days available, someone can assist you in planning a trip.

If yours is a business trip and you will have just a couple of days at hand, it's better to stick to places near Chennai than travelling to north. In such a case, you can post your question in Chennai forum as advised by Sandy.

Vivek

Montana
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Discovering Jaisalmer

I did not realize that Jaisalmer was in the North for some reason I thought it was in the west. Sorry to post in the wrong place. I just thought if the fort was close I might be able to go see it. I will post a topic over in the Chennai section.

Edited: 12:36 pm, July 31, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
795 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discovering Jaisalmer

From Chennai, I'd suggest a full day trip to Kanchipuram, which is about 70-80 km from Chennai (two hours or so).

It is a temple town with remarkable temples and lots of things going on - it will give yo a great taste of the culture of South India.

To get an impression, here are some of my photos from Kanchipuram

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36526739@N03/sets/72157623274902023/

Hunbille

6. Re: Discovering Jaisalmer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 31, 2011