We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jaisalmer confusion - acco safari etc etc

Mumbai
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Jaisalmer confusion - acco safari etc etc

We are planning to stay in Jaisalmer for 3 days of which one day will be a overnight camel safari.

We have been quoted Rs 2100 by the hotel for the safari which includes fancy tents with toilets, food and cultural programme.

Is this worth the price ?

Secondly, in case we decide to stay at the hotel BUT not take their camel safari how can we ensure the safety of our luggage, since we would obviously want to avoid paying for the hotel room for that night. Do people generally take their luggage on the safari ?

One more question : How is the ride from Jaisalmer to Jodhpur in terms of scenery/culture/people photography. If its a good one I dont mind hiring a car for this journey.

Finally :) can you please suggest a good hotel located close to the fort with a price range of Rs 1500 and a good safari operator in Khuri.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Jaisalmer
Jaisalmer
Jaisalmer District, India
Jodhpur
Jodhpur
Jodhpur District, India
Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jaisalmer confusion - acco safari etc etc

Why don't you check out Hacra for your Safari. Based near Osian between Jaisalmer and Jodhpur, they get rave reviews on this site and you will get a much more "authentic" experience than most safaris in Jaisalmer. Check Hacra website www.hacra.org and search on this website for the thread which has all the reviews. We used Gemar Singh's Hacra safari this year and it was wonderful.

Mentioned in this post
Jaisalmer
Jaisalmer
Jodhpur
Jodhpur
Jodhpur District, India
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jaisalmer confusion - acco safari etc etc

I guess there are several ways of doing the safari... for instance, you could book a single night at a hotel, find a safari operator in town (that's not hard.... everybody seems to be in the safari business), take your luggage with you on the safari for the next day/night, and book a separate hotel for the third night. It's a bit of mucking around, but at least it saves you from paying for three nights at the one hotel when only your luggage is enjoying the room for the middle night!

It is possible to take a one-day trip out to the dunes and return to your hotel room late at night, which may make everything considerably less-expensive. You still get to lie on the dunes and see the night sky and experience the incredible stillness of the night desert.... a little like lying on the surface of the Moon. However, even though that's what we chose to do (twice) I admit that the thought of actually spending a night out in the desert is an appealing one, even though the concept of luxury tents with bathrooms and toilets makes it sound a little like Disneyland rather than a true desert experience.

Have you experienced two days straight of riding on a camel? This, frankly, was the reason we eventually chose a one-day safari. Camels are not exactly my friends, and, in spite of all the blankets and buffers which the drivers provided to make it easier for me, after a couple of hours I was ready to do a deal with my camel so that I could walk and carry him.

We have only ever stayed at one hotel in Jaisalmer, and that was Shahi Palace, which we loved... it was our favourite hotel in all of India, and the view of the fort walls from our room, and the rooftop restaurant, was out of this world. The brothers at Shahi Palace will organise your safari for you, and instead of taking you to the "popular" (and nowadays becoming-overcrowded-with-tourists) sites, they will take you to a different part of the desert where you won't see another tourist until you're back in town again. I think this costs a bit more than the "regular" tours everyone is offering, but maybe they can help you work out a way to save you money on that middle-night room..... they own not only Shahi Palace but two or three other hotels nearby in the town, and it shouldn't be too hard for them to check you out of one and find you a room in one of the others for that final night. You could do far worse than to email Dev and ask him for his advice here... if you'd like to send me a private message I will tell you how to get in contact with him (I am just about to send the brothers a New Year greeting... they are the kind of people who, once met, are friends forever).

The road trip from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer has a couple of interesting villages on the way, but, like any other desert environment, there's a certain "sameness" about the environment, and you may find that after a while you're not enjoying it a great deal. Of course, the same is true of the train or bus ride, but at least they will be cheaper than a hired car. One thing I will say for the car, however.... it's MUCH faster, and out on those roads the locals whizz along at a speed you wouldn't really like to think about (fortunately you seldom pass anything coming the other way). We stopped a couple of times along the way (our driver knows just about everybody who lives along the road, and he loves to talk) and still managed to arrive in Jaisalmer about three hours and forty minutes after leaving our hotel in Jodhpur.

Whichever way you decide to do it, and even if you feel you are paying more than you really wanted to, don't under any circumstances miss the desert experience in Jaisalmer... it's something that will stay with you forever.

Mentioned in this post
Jaisalmer
Jaisalmer
Hotel Shahi Palace
Hotel Shahi Palace
1,178 Reviews
Jaisalmer, India
Jodhpur
Jodhpur
Jodhpur District, India
Jodhpur, India
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jaisalmer confusion - acco safari etc etc

AlanJ - "......We stopped a couple of times along the way (our driver knows just about everybody who lives along the road, and he loves to talk) and still managed to arrive in Jaisalmer about three hours and forty minutes after leaving our hotel in Jodhpur."

Jodhpur to Jaisalmer or other wayround is 290-300KM and by road takes about 5 and half Hrs with couple of chai(tea) stops.

if one is hiring a car+driver bitween these two cities best to take a route via Phalodi(Khichan-Birding place) and Osian(temple town), this route is very intresting as its accross the desert and rural feel.

Cheers.

Guidedesert.

Mentioned in this post
Jaisalmer
Jaisalmer
Jodhpur
Jodhpur
Jodhpur District, India
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jaisalmer confusion - acco safari etc etc

You're right... it was FOUR hours and forty minutes.... sorry!

Mumbai
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jaisalmer confusion - acco safari etc etc

AlanJ - Thank you very much for the details.

Unfortunately Shahi palace is fully booked, though I have managd to find a place in another reputable (src : TA) place.

Have you been there during the desert festival ?

We will be arriving on 27th and leaving the morning of 30th. The festival is from 28-30. I am a little confused as when to take the overnight camel safari as i do not want to miss out on the festival events.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Shahi Palace
Hotel Shahi Palace
1,178 Reviews
Jaisalmer, India
Bangalore
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jaisalmer confusion - acco safari etc etc

You can try Fifu guest house. It was wonderful place to stay. I took thier safari. I spent 1 night in hotel , next night in desert & 3rd night again with fifu guest house

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Fifu
Hotel Fifu
1,177 Reviews
Jaisalmer, India
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
110 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jaisalmer confusion - acco safari etc etc

Hi daoutsider ,

How has your trip been?

Actually i am also planning a trip to jasalmer during 3rd march and am on the verge of bookings.so thought of getting some real on ground info .

we are a family with two small kids ,planning with

- jaisalmer(2nts with 1 nt camel safari) at fifu

-jodhpur(2nts) at devibhawan

-mt.Abu( 2nts) -hotel ot yet decided

-udaipur(2nts)-rangniwas with nathdwara

Any inputs would really be helpful.

Regards,

Ravi(we are also from mumbai)

Mentioned in this post
Mount Abu
Mount Abu
Sirohi District, India
Mumbai
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jaisalmer confusion - acco safari etc etc

We just returned yesterday from what I can call the best trip of my life yet.

We stayed in Haveli Inn Pal in Jodhpur which is very close to the clock tower in the old city. Old city is the place to see and be so try to get into a hotel somewhere nearby to experience it.

In Jaisalmer we stayed in Hotel Fifu. As the reviews say it is very professionally managed by very good people who will help you with everything. Its a little outside the city (but closer to the Gadisar lake) so you will need to take an 10min auto ride to the fort.

Edited: 9:16 am, February 01, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Haveli Inn Pal
Haveli Inn Pal
728 Reviews
Jodhpur, India
Jodhpur
Jodhpur
Jodhpur District, India
Jaisalmer
Jaisalmer
Hotel Fifu
Hotel Fifu
1,177 Reviews
Jaisalmer, India
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
110 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jaisalmer confusion - acco safari etc etc

Thanks a lot buddy.

How about udaipur or mount abu?

Did u do bikaner?

what about the camel safari?did u do it with fifu?

was the weather cold??

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jaisalmer confusion - acco safari etc etc

Daoutsider, it was great to hear that everything went so well. Congratulations on a well-thought-out holiday!