We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to see

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
things to see

thinking of visiting Bikaner, has any one been here and what is there to see and where did you stay, thanks

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: things to see

Fort,camel breeding farm, jaintemple, havelis in old city

cenotophs etc

also at

tripadvisor.com/AllReviews-g297666-Bikaner_R…

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,586 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: things to see

I had been in Bikaner last October, stayed in Heritage Resort. Excellent accommodation and brilliant food. Sights : Junagarh Fort, Karnimata Temple, Lallgarh Palace (from outside), Camel breeding farm (far off, not worth),famous mithai and bhujia shop of Chhotu-Motu Joshi.

AshisRoy

Edited: 4:57 am, August 16, 2011
Delhi
Level Contributor
362 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: things to see

besides Junagarh fort and museum

Lalgarh Palace:

This architectural masterpiece in red sandstone was built by Maharaja Ganga Singh (1881-1942 A.D.) in the memory of his father Maharaja Lal Singhji in 1902 AD. The palace has attractive lattice work and filigree work. Several grand halls, lounges, cupolas and pavilions have been designed by Col. Sir Swinton Jacob. This fort is stylized with different elements of Rajput, Muslim and European styles which can be categorized as Indo-Seresanic style. Magnificent pillars, intricately carved fire mantles, Italian colonnades and motif of lotus in full bloom, add richness to the place. The palace has it's own museum and library (the fourth largest in the world). Lalgarh Palace depicts the lives of three successive kings - Maharaja Ganga Singh, Sadul Singh and Karni Singh through an assortment of artifacts and photographs demonstrated in 22 rooms.

Bhandaser Jain Temple:

This 15th. Century temple is dedicated to Sumati Nath Ji, the 5th Tirthankar of the Jain religion. It is reported that pure ghee and coconuts were used in laying the foundation of this temple. Red sandstone and white marble creates a base for some exquisite carvings and wall paintings found here.

Camel Research Centre:

The National Research Centre on Camel is located 10 kms away from the city and spread across 2000 acres of semi arid land . The Centre is managed by the Central Government. The Centre was successful in discovering the genetic discrepancy within and between camel breeds using molecular markers. Different varieties of Camels are bred and maintained with great care here. These camels are sold in the cattle fairs of Bikaner and Jaisalmer where you will find them richly decorated with mirrors and colors.

Laxmi Nath Temple:

Laxmi Nath Temple is one of the oldest temples of Bikaner and had its foundation laid by Rao Bikaji in 1488 A.D and later developed by Maharaja Ganga Singh Ji. The temple celebrates some superb archeological skills of artists and artisans. Vishnu and Laxmi are the idols worshiped here

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: things to see

Went there two years ago.

If you can afford it I can thoroughly recommend the Laxmi Niwas Palace as a place to stay. It is a beautiful old guest palace converted into a hotel. Great food and one of the most atmospheric bars I have ever been in, with animal skins and heads all over the walls. It really takes you back to the era of the Indian Maharahas and the British Raj. Although it is perhaps not up to the standard of some of the Taj hotels, in my opinion it is more atmospheric, because it has a more untouched feel to it.

There is an interesting old fort/palace and wandering around the old city is good, because it is virtually tourist free, which you won't come across elsewhere in Rajasthani cities.

The Kala Mati Temple is a must. This is a small way out of Bikaner. It is famous because here rats are worshipped and as you walk in you will find literally hundreds of rats running loose, without devout Hindus making offerings to them.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: things to see

Sorry I meant "with devout Hindus making offerings to them"!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: things to see

Hi Tim, this place sounds great, the Palace sounds like just what we would like, the rat temple, scary, one of my greatest fears RATS, lol as l have a fear of them qwould l be safe :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: things to see

Thanks again Magic, Ashis Roy, and IDI, every post you send me is such a great help to us, thanking you all again

JAIPUR
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: things to see

Hi caz3013!

Saw your last message to Tim, be assured you will be safe in Rat temple. These rats are treated as sacred and given protection in the temple. In India these temple rats are called "CABA". And till date they never bite anyone. It's belived that there are very few white "CABA" in temple, you become "Lucky' if you see one.

You will have nice experince once you will come back from temple.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: things to see

Thanks Raj, that puts my mind at ease as l have a fear of rats, l won't be so scared of going there now

india
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: things to see

One is considered to be lucky if any rat touches him.

My family tried our level best to attract rats to become LUCKY.

It must be a funny sight to see parents and grown up kids chasing the rats like crazy........D

Perhaps, the rats must have mistook us for cats and kept their distance. and ran away from us..........(