We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puri-Bhuvaneshwar-Konark trip

Bay Area
Level Contributor
594 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Puri-Bhuvaneshwar-Konark trip

We are a large family planning a trip from Chennai to Orissa. We want to visit Puri-Bhuvaneshwar-Konark and we plan to book tickets from chennai to bhuvaneshwar which is quite a long journey. The question is which part should we make as base based on the places we like to visit.

Should it be Puri or Bhubaneshwar??

What is the distance between each of these places??

Please advise as we need to book train tickets asap.

We want to see the following:

1. A couple of famous temples in Bhubaneswar

2. Nandankanan Zoo

3. Puri temple

4. Konark Sun temple

5. Pipli village

6. Chilka lake.

7. Khandagiri & Udayagiri caves

46 replies to this topic
Bhubaneswar...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Puri-Bhuvaneshwar-Konark trip

It would be better if you make Puri as your base, but as you might travel by train as suggested you will have to get down at Bhubaneswar as Puri is a different route and not on the Howrah - Chennai main route (if you have a direct train from Chennai then go to Puri, which i guess is not there).

Your Route may look like this:

Day 1: Arrival at BBSR (If arrived early morning (before dawn) start the local sightseeing at 8 Am including Nandan Kanan Zoo, Deras Dam, Lingaraj Temple, Rajarani Temple, Mukteswar Temple and Kedar Gouri temple, Khandagiri and Udaigiri.) PS: Monday Nandankanan is closed.

Night stay in BBSR

Day 2: Start early morning say 8, visit Dhauli shanti stupa,-> then shopping at Pipli village (25 Kms from BBSR), ->move to Konark (44 kms from Pipli) -> Puri (30 kms from Konark)

Night stay at Puri

Day 3: Visit Jagannath temple and spend a lazy day at beach in Puri

Night stay at Puri

Day 4: Visit Chilka Lake at Satpada and back to Puri

Night stay at Puri

Day 5: Catch a train/ Flight from BBSR

Dehra Dun...
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puri-Bhuvaneshwar-Konark trip

how much hours it takes to see konark sun temple

SURESHKALHAN

Bay Area
Level Contributor
594 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puri-Bhuvaneshwar-Konark trip

We did it in like within 2 hrs..

india
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puri-Bhuvaneshwar-Konark trip

It took only maximum 1 hour to see konark sun temple.

5. Re: Puri-Bhuvaneshwar-Konark trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:55 am, February 14, 2013

Anantapur, India
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Puri-Bhuvaneshwar-Konark trip

i want to visit only puri and konark temple in one day is there any package tours?

7. Re: Puri-Bhuvaneshwar-Konark trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:55 am, February 14, 2013

Bhubaneswar, India
Level Contributor
90 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puri-Bhuvaneshwar-Konark trip

You will find lot of package tours being arranged by local travels and tours companies. Contact your hotel desk. You need not pre-book this one. But having said that, all you need to do is to hire a taxi for one day konark-puri trip. Both places can be easily covered in one day.

Pune, India
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Puri-Bhuvaneshwar-Konark trip

A couple of facts regarding trip to Puri and Bhubaneswar. I visited these places just 2 weeks before. I reached Bhubaneswar airport at about 8.30 in the morning. I must appreciate the arrangement of new Bhubaneswar airport. It was planned to reach directly Puri first. At the BSB airport auto / taxi transportation is readily available. But, best is the bus option. From the arrival gate its hardly 200-300 meters the bus stand is located and a very frequent bus services are available to city bus stand BSB. It will take nearly 20 min to reach city bus stand and a fare of Rs. 7/- only. The city administration and the roads of BSB are truly appreciable. I was astonished by observing such a huge difference from the last time I visited. My whole perception changed this time.

After reaching city bus stand, I came to know there is only one bus available from BSB to Puri. It’s a non A/C state govt bus (Bus No. 117) fare is Rs. 35/- only. My suggestion is to not wait for trains coz frequency is less and more time taking and also not to avail private bus services as much time taking.

Though frequency of that govt bus no. 117 is not so good, but you can rely on them. I missed the bust @ 9 am, the next bus was @ 11 am. It tool approx. 1.5hrs to reach Puri. Climate was humid hot, I opted a rickshaw from Sargadwar (bus’s last stop) to our hotel @ sea beach. Rickshaw changed me a Rs. 50/-. In the evening I booked the next whole day trip to Bhubaneswar-Udaygiri-Dhauragiri-Nandan Kanan-Konarak and so on. Please book the ticket from authorized OTDC centers only. OTDC is not having any agent , you can buy the tickets directly from their counter (located in sea beach only). Please donot speak to any local transporter / travel agent, they will only cheat you. It happened with us earlier that why we were very much cautious about choosing our travel option. OTDC will charge Rs. 400/- for full day trip. They will be providing normal A/C bus (non-Volvo) and whenever you will be making your booking they will give you the seat no as well. No cheating and no false commitment. Appreciating this effort of OTDC as well. Your journey will be very smooth and you will come back to Puri @ evening approx.. 7-7.30pm.

Many times, you need to opt a cycle-rickshaw or auto –rickshaw. If you are in a group, please opt for auto –rickshaw and if you are couple please opt for cycle-rickshaw. Avg cost of cycle rickshaw not more than Rs.30-40.

Regarding temple visit. Please fix up with a Panda @ temple premises only and bargain for a reasonable rate. Not suggested to opt a panda from your hotel or via any agency, they will be charging immensely high and your satisfaction will be NIL.

Now a day, the environment of the temple is very much corrupted and each and every steps there is a chance of getting harassed. So, be alert and cautious in each and every steps.

This is needless to say, these places are awesome and specially, the sea and sea beach. These are some points, do visit BSB & Puri and njoy your holiday.

india
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puri-Bhuvaneshwar-Konark trip

Friends now bhubaneswar is declared as international airport. you can stay in bhubaneswar or at Puri. The hotel help desk arrange for ur Konark- puri trip or konark- bhubaneswar trip . its only a day tour to Konark- puri if u stay in bhubaneswar. Lots of buses are available from bhubaneswar to puri. it will took maximum 2 hour to reach puri from bhubaneswar.

Reply to: Puri-Bhuvaneshwar-Konark trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted