We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

{ Ranikor, Mairang, Mawsynram } Anyone been there ?

Level Contributor
18 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
{ Ranikor, Mairang, Mawsynram } Anyone been there ?

Checked out Cherrapunjee upto Shella Bangladesh border villages last week, my next plan is to go to Ranikor, Mairang and Mawsynram area so if anyone have been to these areas please share inputs on road condition, points to see, places to stay and things to do around etc.

Thanks a lot,

regards,

San

Level Contributor
18 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: { Ranikor, Mairang, Mawsynram } Anyone been there ?

Solo trip it was, Ranikor cancelled and returned midway from Mawsynram.

Drove straight to Tamabil border gate, visited Mawwlyyong while returning.

Loved the 2nd lag drive. Hope the PWD widens the Ranikor road as well.

Umsning-Sonapur road i have been thinking but not sure if the Assam side is connected or driveable. But had driven to the Kyrdemkulai dam area.

However due to safety concerns not interested beyong Meghalaya borders on Nartiang-Khanduli-Lumding road.

Todays last part included visiting bah Alan and UCC college campus, Umium.

The SOS road point of interest kept for later visit when i bath n go :-)

Hope to meet Gregory, Gary, David & Jason during future visits.

Next solo target is Ranikor loop, a few months later.

Edited: 11:16 am, June 16, 2012
Shillong, India
Level Contributor
726 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: { Ranikor, Mairang, Mawsynram } Anyone been there ?

Hey did you not visit Jakrem and Lawbah area from Mawsynram?

Yes the road conditions from Umtyngar to Tamabil is very good. Infact last time I visited, they were widening the road from Pyrunsla to Tamabil. There is a lot of road widening taking place in the state in this current Government, which is all the more better.However I don't see the Ranikor road even being repaired, forget widening.

The Umsning - Sonapur road is very much accesible, but you will have to take diversions at certain locations. Infact it would be wiser to travel from Sonapur to Umsning.

Other Road trips you can take are:

1) Umiam Lake-Umroi Airport-Madan Mawkhar- Mawsiatkhnam-Mawtawar-Mawroh-Shillong (VIP Road)

2) Umiam Lake-Umroi-Nongtraw-Diengpasoh-Mawdiangdiang-Shillong

3) Umiam Lake-Umroi- Mawryngkneng (Shillong Bye Pass)

4) Umiam Lake - Nartiang (have to check on route)

5) Shillong-Mawsynram-Ranikor-Balat-Hatmawdon-Shella-Cherrapunjee-Shillong

6) Shillong-Upper Shillong- Mawngap-Sohiong-Mawmaram-Nongthliew-Mawmih-Mawlyndep-UCC College-Umiam Lake-Shillong

7) Shillong-Pyrunsla-Dawki-Amlarem-Jowai-Shillong (215km)

By the way who is this Bah Alan and what do you mean by SOS road point of interest? And where are you actually from?

Edited: 12:12 am, June 17, 2012
Level Contributor
18 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: { Ranikor, Mairang, Mawsynram } Anyone been there ?

Karikor thanks for all the route and destination suggestions. Will try out some of these in the days and months to come.

You are welcome to join me on facebook.

These last few days the Jorabat area was flooded most of the time stalling traffic, so sooner the Rani road gets ready the better. Just hope that they don't allow the truck traffic that side, possible ?

Level Contributor
18 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: { Ranikor, Mairang, Mawsynram } Anyone been there ?

PS:

I need to know the following in Khasi and Jaintia.

Do you have pork or chicken curry ?

Do you have rice ?

How much ?

Thnx.....

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
726 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: { Ranikor, Mairang, Mawsynram } Anyone been there ?

Well I'm sure the trucks coming and going to Garo Hills will be plying from Rani. However that would make the Shillong-Guwahati more comfortable to drive.

You want me to translate?

Well here goes...

1) Phi don jingtah dohsniang ne dohsyiar kylla?

2) Phi don ja?

3) Katno?

Guwahati, India
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: { Ranikor, Mairang, Mawsynram } Anyone been there ?

well what are the places we can visit on the route of rani to mairang well we are planning to go by that route today at 9 am.. so rply fast if possible..

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
726 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: { Ranikor, Mairang, Mawsynram } Anyone been there ?

Well I take it that you are coming to shillong from rani via mairang. Well the drive is very nice. Very scenic. But I don't remember many famous points to stop on that road. The only famous thing before reaching mairang, is kyllang rock or Lum Kyllang. You can climb up to the top of that rock from the southern side. The rock has some sort of magnetic properties that will act on you. Also after crossing patarkhmah, you will reach jirang. Its famous for angling. From jirang you fan connect to umling in the shillong-guwahati highway via nongkhyllem sanctuary. After crossing mairang, you will come to sohiong, after sohiong, mawngap. Take the left to shillong, right to mawphlang. 5km from mawngap is the mawphlang sacred groves. You can check them out. Try to get a guide for 1.5hours. From mawphlang, the road to the right will take you to mawsynram, ranikor, mawkyrwat, jakrem etc.

SHILLONG
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: { Ranikor, Mairang, Mawsynram } Anyone been there ?

What do you want to do...there in ranikor,mawsynram etc...r u a tourist..

19. Re: { Ranikor, Mairang, Mawsynram } Anyone been there ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 02, 2015