We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pune to Chikhaldara (Melghat) in Dec 2011

Pune
4 posts
Save Topic
Pune to Chikhaldara (Melghat) in Dec 2011

Visiting Chikhaldara for 4 days in the last week of December. Wanted to know few things.

As we are traveling by road (car), what should be the preferred route considering road conditions?

1. Pune-Aurangabad-Khamgaon-Shegaon-Paratwada-Chikhaldara

2. Pune-Aurangabad-Khamgaon-Akola-Murtajapur-Amaravati-Chikhaldara

3, or any other route?

Though not sure, but I guess I need not go through Amaravati.

We would be staying at MTDC resort (already booked); do they allow campfires, and also provide guides for Melghat jungle safaris?

What are the places around that the kids (8-10 yr. old) would enjoy most? Can we trek in the jungle?

Anybody else from Pune visiting this place at the same time along with the family?

Thanks.

Waukegan, Illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pune to Chikhaldara (Melghat) in Dec 2011

Hello Sudhanshu,

We also intend to visit Chikhaldara during 22-23 Oct 11. And thinking of going via Amravati as we would be picking up Bro-in-law, coming in from Nagpur over there.

Apart from those you had mentioned, I could see while I was surfing for more details, one more option:- Pune - Au'bad - Jalgaon - Burhanpur - Ch'ra, the distance of about 584 kms. I will let you know if I get more details, meanwhile you can explore this option as well.

About other attractions nearby, Melghat Tiger reserve is one you may consider of...

Pune
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pune to Chikhaldara (Melghat) in Dec 2011

Cool .. thanks. Do post your experience about your trip once you are back!

Waukegan, Illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pune to Chikhaldara (Melghat) in Dec 2011

Dear Sudhanshu,

Exteremely sorry that I could not reply till now. I hope this reply is not too late..

So we went to Ch'ra during Diwali vacation and took the following route:-

Pune - Nagar - Aurangabad (night-halt) - Jalgaon (break at Cousine sis's home for abt 5 hrs) - Bhusawal - Khamgaon - Shegaon - Akot - Paratwada - Ch'ra.

Surely you will not need to go to Jalgaon. So the route I would like to propose is as foll:-

Pune - Nagar - Aurangabad - Deulgaon raja - Chikhali - - Khamgaon - Shegaon - Akot - Paratwada - Ch'ra.

Just a glitch here is that a stretch of about 20-30 odd kms between Shegaon to Akot is very bad with full of potholes etc.... Barring this the entire road is good...

In Chikhaldara, I am sure kids will like to Forest park- despite a garden belonging to Forest dept, its somewhile unlike-a-govt-property..A trip to Melghat jungle is a must. And if you are staying for 4 days over there, then I would strongly suggest to make 2 trips atleast - one early morning and the 2nd at about 4ish in the even.

Also do not forget to enjoy the locally made coffee. And also the tea at the tapari, just opposite to the Ch'ra main market, nr bus-stop.

Do give me a call on 98225 53187, in case you need more details.

Once again extremely sorry for being late in reply.

Bon Voyage...Have whale of a good time and take care:-)

Ashish

Pune
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Pune, Mahabaleshwar, Aurangabad
Level Contributor
789 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pune to Chikhaldara (Melghat) in Dec 2011

Ashish Helpful recommendation !! Till what point its 4 lane road and how long would it take end to end for travel from Pune ?

Pune
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pune to Chikhaldara (Melghat) in Dec 2011

We couldn't go there last year, had to cancel the reservations at the last moment due to some unavoidable circumstances. Have booked again for 3 days this time - Dec 25 to 27.

Will prefer Pune - Aurangabad - Chikhali - Sheagaon route. Will post the details soon.

Tamil Nadu, India
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pune to Chikhaldara (Melghat) in Dec 2011

Hi Sudhanshu... I am planning to go there in January last week..if you visited as planned in Dec...can u share your experience here or provide ur mob no....Thanks

Tamil Nadu, India
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pune to Chikhaldara (Melghat) in Dec 2011

Hi Ashish. u have given very useful info...still can I call u if i need some more info as I am planning to go there soon...

Thanks Sudhir Daswani..INDORE-MP..

8. Re: Pune to Chikhaldara (Melghat) in Dec 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 14, 2014