We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maadathil Cottages-- Odayam beach

Level Contributor
1,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Maadathil Cottages-- Odayam beach

Thinking of maybe staying here next mid to late Feb 2013. Anyone know anything about this pace and could comment please.

UK
Level Contributor
9,233 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maadathil Cottages-- Odayam beach

Hi doofus we meet again! Won't ask you any questions!! LOL

These are at Black beach area. I think they are the ones on the beach road that I passed last year but am not 100% certain. Other than that I don't know much about them.

Odayam/black beach is the quieter end of varkala but more and more properties are coming up there now so that may change. The actual beach is very small; more like a bay really.

It would take about 10 minutes to walk from there up to the main cliff area (via several sets of steps) where the restaurants, shops, etc. are.

Peace.

Level Contributor
1,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maadathil Cottages-- Odayam beach

Lol!!!

Many thanks for that. They do have a small website, but difficult to assess anything from it really. Does look nice and peaceful but unsure whether or not they have any facilities like a small restaurant etc.

I have had an email back from them and the rate when we want to go next February is 3500. Apparently it is near Manthara temple.

Really cannot decide to go for it or not.

Thanks anyway!!

UK
Level Contributor
9,233 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maadathil Cottages-- Odayam beach

Hi doofus,

Just looked at some photos of the place and it is not the one I was thinking of. Some reviews say it is 20 minutes walk to the main cliff so maybe it is a little beyond black beach.

I have often walked over the cliff top to black beach which was about 10 minutes; or I walk fast!

Edited: 4:53 am, July 15, 2012
Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maadathil Cottages-- Odayam beach

Hi,

We stayed at Odayam back in 2009 and liked it more than the touristy Varkala.

As you say Igirl it's a good 10-15 minute walk to the North cliffs and the main beach area of Varkala.

I've had a look on Google Earth at Manthara temple and it is indeed further along the cliff path and away from Odayam. It appears to be in Edeva. I would say that the accommodation will be one of the places set back from the cliff edge and not actually in Odayam at all.

We did walk all along this cliff path and there were some places to stay, but they all seemed deserted.

if you would like a read about our time in Odayam, you can take a look here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297631-i5501-k286…

Be warned - it is extremely long and detailed.

If you click the link for the photos in the report there is one called "On The Way To Edava" and I think this could well be the private beach that some reviewers refer to.

Hope this helps

UK
Level Contributor
9,233 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maadathil Cottages-- Odayam beach

You could be right infoaddict. I did go to Edava but by road so have no idea of walking time.

Level Contributor
1,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maadathil Cottages-- Odayam beach

Infoaddict,

Enjoyed reading your lengthy account of your expedition to Kerala and Varkala in particular.

Maadathil Cottages probably were not there when you were there in 2009. they are only 2 years old- they do look as though they are more or less very close to the beach. Pics are there on this site of you want to have a look.

I think , also, the prices you quoted etc you could probably double now or x3!!

Mind you, I was last in Kerala in 1977!!! All beaches deserted in those days!!

Level Contributor
1,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maadathil Cottages-- Odayam beach

We are both in our 60's now. My wife now says she would like to stay in a place with a pool!! I have seen Deshadan advertised so may enquire about that unless anyone else has any suggestions. Please NO 5* places(if they are around!). Something like £30 to £40 a night including breakfast and a possibility to pay in advance or by card.

UK
Level Contributor
9,233 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maadathil Cottages-- Odayam beach

The Deshadan is a good hotel with a small pool. The accommodaton is set around the pool. I had a good look round there a couple of years back but did not stay.

Just up the road a bit on the other side is the Akhil.. This has recently finished a refurbishment and the rooms are good. They have a very large swimming pool and good restaurant. I have stayed here a couple of times. The price may be slightly over your budget though. It is well located only a few minutes from the clifftop via the back entrance to the resort.

The Raja Park opposite also has a pool, maybe slightly larger than the Deshadan but can't say what it is like now. I stayed there a few years back and it was only average.

Here is a link which includes both of these properties as they are owned by the same people.

http://www.akhilbeachresort.com/

They may ask for a deposit and usually say pay by banker's draft.

You can pay by card at the resort but they take 3% on top.

The Thiruvambadi is down near black beach and has a pool. I have not stayed there.

http://www.thiruvambadihotel.com/home/

Here is a list of properties in Varkala if you want to have a trawl through!

tripadvisor.in/AllLocations-g297639-c1-Hotel…

Level Contributor
1,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maadathil Cottages-- Odayam beach

many thanks for that . some decent options .

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maadathil Cottages-- Odayam beach

Yes I know this place. It´s a very peaceful place good to relax in a beautifull natur with many coconut trees and directly on the beach. the cottages are comfortable and have a nice balcony. It is still a paradise there and the owners Muhadji and Mohammed are very very good and friendly people.

You will enjoy it.

Andrea from Munich/Germany

I know this place since one year and I have been there in january and september 2012.

Get answers to your questions about Varkala