We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

varkala opticians

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
varkala opticians

Can anybody tell us if there are any good / reputable opticians in Varkala town? or do we have to travel to Trivandrum?

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: varkala opticians

Hi Squashmanalan,

There is an optician in Varkala town, it's called IRIS.

Prices are OK, I found SpecSavers two for one deal was better value, having said that hubby got a pair of reading glasses for an excellent price, remember to haggle for best price.

Anita

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
9,164 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: varkala opticians

I have also used Iris. I thought they were very good and reasonable. It depends on your prescription. If you need glasses just for reading then the price will be good. They have a good choice of frames in all price ranges. I have varifocal glasses which are more expensive but these still worked out cheaper than the UK. Can't remember what I paid ; I will try and find my receipt.

I have also used Devi opticians and have been very happy with them also.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: varkala opticians

Thanks very much for the info Igirl and LondonAnita. We are travelling on Friday 18th... better get an appt at opticians for prescription!!!

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: varkala opticians

At Iris Opticals in Varkala we bought 2 pair (for my husband and myself !!) of new glasses with "bifocal lenses" (Gleitsichtbrille) . Cost >1000€ !!

Back in Germany I felt headache wearing these glasses.

When my optician measured those glasses we realized that the data was not fitting properly to my eyes.

The most difference was regarding PD right and left and the axis.

In addition we found that the bore holes weren't done accuratly but a little damage on the glass. Even if they measured my husbands glasses in order to copy them -also his glasses are much worse than the original ones!

So we contacted the shop via mail and got soon reply stating that "reparation" (means replacement) is possible after returning glassed via post -or bringing them with us by passing by the next time. We asked for refund - no chance! We are not feeling comfortable sending such expensive glasses around the globe - so these expansive glasses are lying around here and we can throw them away. Be carefull!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
9,164 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: varkala opticians

Oh dear. The way I see it is the glasses cannot be worn regardless of the price you paid. What have you got to lose by sending them back?

I must say the price sounds very expensive for two pairs of bifocals.

I have had several pairs of glasses from Iris with no problems.

6. Re: varkala opticians

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Varkala