We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

changing money/solo woman

UK OK
1 post
Save Topic
changing money/solo woman

What is the best way to change money in Varkala?

Is there an ATM machine, or where will I be able to change money without hassle? I am reluctant to rely on travellers cheques - but are they readily acceptable there?

Also, re personal security, am I likely to encounter problems there as a woman travelling alone, both during days or evenings, or on the beach?

I understand that (for example) wearing a bikini on the beach is likely to attract some unwelcome attention.

I am going next week, and I would rather be aware in advance and adjust my expectations accordingly.

Is there anywhere you can recommend that is particularly relaxed and a friendly place to meet other travellers?

thanks

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,392 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: changing money/solo woman

There are ATM machines almost everywhere in India. You should be able to draw money with any standard Visa/MC/Electron card with 4 digit numeric pin.

You should bring some amount of Sterling in Cash for ready expenses, and withdraw the rest here. Most places will also take credit cards, except the small shops.

Kerela is generally safe for women. If you dress moderately and don't stay out late at night you should not have a problem. Just avoid guys trying to be too friendly with you.

2. Re: changing money/solo woman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:50 pm, July 25, 2008
Varkala
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: changing money/solo woman

What is the best way to change money in Varkala?

Money exchange centers are there at papanasam and cliff beaches.

Is there an ATM machine,

There are many in town which is in three km circle.

Where will I be able to change money without hassle?

There are no hassles at all.

I am reluctant to rely on travellers cheques - but are they readily acceptable there?

Yes it is acceptable

Also, re personal security, am I likely to encounter problems there as a woman traveling alone, both during days or evenings, or on the beach?

I have been running a resort here for sometime, we have not heard of an incident recently, unless you tried to do it to someone here =).

I understand that (for example) wearing a bikini on the beach is likely to attract some unwelcome attention.

It is possible for you to dress up as you wish on the beach. You can dress decently on the road to get along with culture that it.

I am going next week, and I would rather be aware in advance and adjust my expectations accordingly.

Warm welcome to Varkala, wish you a great experience here with us.

Is there anywhere you can recommend that is particularly relaxed and a friendly place to meet other travellers?

Yes, you have many places in Varkala, like the beach and many of the restaurants (around 250 upscale and moderate)

More queries will be answered at info@lekhas.com 93887 20 200

Mom Lekhas Private Homes, Papanasam Beach, Varkala , India

4. Re: changing money/solo woman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, September 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Varkala