We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Options for travel plan/ accommodation/ sight-seeing

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Options for travel plan/ accommodation/ sight-seeing

Hi,

I would be traveling with my spouse to Thekkady, and would like to cover Munnar also in the same trip. Would be leaving from Bangalore around 29th November. Do not want to spend more than 30000 rupees for the both of us. Want the holiday to be a mix of activities and relaxation. I want help on the following:

1. Which should I do first Munnar or Thekkady. Would be travelling by bus.

2. In Thekkady would want to visit Periyar national park, Kalari, Elephant ride, Periyar lake in the morning, any other suggestions.( Also is the tiger reserver and the national park the same?)

3. Places to stay, would like to spend the last 2 days relaxing and secluded hotel would be ideal.

Would greatly appreciate your help.

Vadodara, India
Destination Expert
for Gujarat, Kutch, Bhuj
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Options for travel plan/ accommodation/ sight-seeing

Hi sandeep,

You can do munnar first as munnar has many things to see and visit like tea plantations and musuem, eravikulam national park, rose garden, photo point, matupetty dam, echo point etc. Do try keralian food at Suvarna Bhavan which is very nice and good. Start for eravikulam national park early to avoid long waiting ques for tickets. For staying hotel munnar inn is decent located right in middle of the town.

In thekkady the things to see and visit are periyar lake forest, elephant ride, kerilian martial art show and kathakali dance. Start early morning for periyar to avoid long ques for tickets. For staying there are many hotels and home stays. I would suggest to stay in home stay rather than staying in hotel. Home stays are calm and silent for staying and i stayed at edamala home stay at thekkady during my visit. It is really decent place to stay. Have a nice trip.

Cheers

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Options for travel plan/ accommodation/ sight-seeing

Hi Abhay,

Thanks for your suggestions. Will look up all that you have suggested. Can you suggest a home stay in Thekkady also?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Options for travel plan/ accommodation/ sight-seeing

Hi all,

Could any one throw some light on the local transport in both Munnar and Thekkady. Are rickshaws, taxis easily available and if they charge by the meter, or if a 2 wheeler can be hired.

Thanks.

Cairo
Level Contributor
85 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Options for travel plan/ accommodation/ sight-seeing

HI Sandeep,

I just came back to my home country after 2 weeks tour at Kerala, so I may give you my experience:

1- You can do either Munnar or Thekkady first.

2- Yes the Tiger Reserve and National Park at Thekkady is the same.

3- At Thekkady I stayed at a very nice home stay which was at a walkable distance to the Bus Station and shopping area, its name was Panthalamskumily homestay, you can call its owner Mr. Shukoor on 9446226524 and also you can visit the website of the homestay to see its photos, it is located at a nice forest.

4- Rikshaws are available at both Munnar and Thekkady, they don't use meters, you have to agree for charge with the driver before you use it, at Munnar I paid 1000 Rs for a the half day trip suggested to you by Mr. Abhay and at Thekkady I paid 300 Rs for transfers to the national park and Plantation Garden.

5- At Munnar I suggest to you to stay at one of the hotels which are available off town on the mountains of the Tea Gardens, I stayed at Oak Fields Hotel which I booked through

www.bookmytrip.com, just check that website

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Options for travel plan/ accommodation/ sight-seeing

Hi Chess_master,

Thanks for such a detailed reply. Covers all the doubts I had.

Much appreciated.

6. Re: Options for travel plan/ accommodation/ sight-seeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 23, 2014