We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South India Itirenary with 2 young children.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
South India Itirenary with 2 young children.

Hello,

We are a family of 4 with 2 young children (2 and 6). We arrive at Kochi on Dec 14 and leave from Chennai on Jan 3 in the very early morning which gives us 20 full days.

From reading throughout the forum we opted for traveling in a comfortable air-con minivan with driver. Here is the itinerary I have been thinking about. (We did a similar trip In Sri Lanka Last year and loved it!)

14 December: Arrival Kochin

15 December: Kochin

16 December: Kochin – Mararikulam (55kms / 1 ½ hrs)

17 December: Mararikulam – (½ day in Alleppey)

18 December: Mararikulam

19 December: Mararikulam – Periyar (150kms / 4hrs)

20 December: Periyar

21 December: Periyar

22 December: Periyar – Rajakkad ( 80kms / 3hrs)

23 December: Rajakkad

24 December: Rajakkad

25 December: Rajakkad – Chettinad (170kms / 4hrs)

26 December: Chettinad

27 December: Chettinad – Tanjore (100kms / 2hrs)

28 December 13: Tanjore

29 December 13: Tanjore – Pondicherry (230kms / 5hrs)

30 December 13: Pondicherry

31 December 13: Pondicherry – Mahabalipuram (100kms / 2hrs)

01 January 14: – Mahabalipuram

02 January 14: Mahabalipuram – Chennai (70kms / 1 ½ hrs)

I believe this itinerary would give us a broad and diverse experience of both Kerala and Tamil Nadu and yet we limit our moving to 7 times which already seems like a lot. We don´t want the holiday to be a race but at the same time we do not want to spend a whole day in the car. For the kids sake we are planning to stay in nice hotels with Air con and swimming-pools. I started searching for hotel on the net but most are full!

Should I be worried about room availabilities in those dates?

Any advice for Rajakkad at Xmas time?

Any advice for Pondy at New Year time?

What do you think about the itinerary?

Any recommendation? warning?

Any recommendation/advice regarding car/driver? (still need to find the great driver out there!)

All input is welcome!

Thanks a lot in advance for sharing your views :o)

Vick.

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South India Itirenary with 2 young children.

after Rajakkad, you can halt one night madurai to visit the famous madurai meenakshi amman temple and can reduce one day stay in chettinad mansion.

from chettinad mansion on the way to thanjavur you can visir sithanavasal caves, famous for sculpting.

between thanjavur to pondicherry there are lot of places with historical importance and centuries old temples like kumbakonam, chidambaram, gangai konda cholapuram.

i shall restrict myself with this recommendations, else i might pour much more.

Pondicherry at new year would be great! suggest you to book a star hotel parties rather than any other places.

your Itinerary includes places like mararikulam, rajakkad, chettinad mansion which are very interesting.

normal places of interests will be like this tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293860-i511-k6600…

Regarding driver and car, there are quiet a recommendations already in the forum.

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South India Itirenary with 2 young children.

You may like to use a 7 seater air conditioned SUV such as Toyota Innova or Mahindra Scorpio as this will be more comfortable.

If you travel Kochi/Alleppey/Marari on Day3 and release the vehicle and likewise on Day 6 you will probably save about Rs 3000 on your transport costs.may also be better for you to ask for vehilce from Madurai/Chettinad to pick you up at Rajakkad for the Tamil Nadu portion of your journey.

You could stay with the cghearth hotel group for Kochi,Marai.Periyar,Chettinad,Pondicherry.

From Tanjore you could go via Kumbakonam to Tranquebar, an old Danish settlement before heading for Pondicherry.

For Chettinad, Pondicherry and Tranquebar you could consider the Neemrana Hotels.

These two chains are a bit more expensive and there would be less expensive options.

You could save a bit more by releasing your vehicle at Pondicherry and using local tourist taxis up to Mahabalipuram and then to Chennai.

Chettinad may be a better option for Christmas eve and Pondicherry a better option than Mahabalipuram for New Year's eve.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: South India Itirenary with 2 young children.

Hello :-)

And thank-you so much for your ideas....I will go and check all these good tips right Away!

I did not include Madurai even though I read it is a "must see" because it seemed it will be too much for the children, too many people/noise, etc. it is also one more hotel (unpack-pack again...)we will try to limit the number of temples and historical site as we know it will quickly become too much. All they are interested in at that age is water, other children, animals and village life...We will try and make the visits as interesting as possible!

Visiting sites while we are on the road is a great idea! The old Danish settlement place sounds great especially as my husband is Danish!

Good to hear Pondi is the right place for NY. Will look for hotel! I will also check in the forum for drivers.

Thank-you for the great advice regarding car/chauffeur! it is true that we do not need the chauffeur everyday! and if we plan as you say we can bring the cost down! i will search the forum for chauffeurs

Regarding cost...I have my max budget of course but i have to be realistic so I will see what hotel prices are at that time of the year...

Thanks again,

V.

4. Re: South India Itirenary with 2 young children.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, January 04, 2014
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: South India Itirenary with 2 young children.

Hello,

i was looking for a hotel in Cochin and i thought that if I could get a hotel facing the beach then i could possibly skip Marari. ..Not sure it is possible to find a beach close to the city where it is ok to swim...?

What do you think? Do you have any toughts/ recommendations?

Thanks!

V,

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
910 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South India Itirenary with 2 young children.

Hello,

The beach at Cochin are not ideal for swimming. If you love beach and swimming then the best options are Varkala and Kovalam.

Cheers,

Arun

Team Experience Kerala

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: South India Itirenary with 2 young children.

There are not much options for beach hotel in Cochin.

Have a look at

Old Lighthouse Bristow Hotel

I had good response from my clients. But the reviews here..

Suresh P R

Edited: 10:28 pm, August 07, 2013
Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South India Itirenary with 2 young children.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g297633-d194917…

you can check this in cochin. its near beach.

as prem sugggested CGH earth group hotels also sounds good idea.

9. Re: South India Itirenary with 2 young children.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, August 14, 2013
Wellington, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: South India Itirenary with 2 young children.

Hey there, we are travelling around Kerala at the moment with two kids aged 5 and 7. We have been getting local taxis from place to place and are making up our itinerary as we go along. Yes, the time spent in the car can be a bit tedious but the kids are used to travel and just relax into it.

We try to stay at places with a pool and at the moment that's pretty easy as the season is yet to get into full swing. The best thing we did was to bring small self inflating sleeping mats and sleeping bag liners, no problems getting a room for the four of us and we have never been charged any extra.