We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping questions

Which Kochi (Cochin) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pinkpower
Level Contributor
244 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping questions

We usually go to Chennai but this year we are planning a trip to Kochi instead.

Would appreciate any advice on the following:

1) A good place to get Sarees- we usually shop at Nalli and I know there is one in Kochi...but is their Jayalakshmi silks the go to place rather than Nalli or Chennai Silks? And does Jayalakshmi Silks have clothes for men and kids ( kurtas) too?

2) Please also advise on a bookstore with a wide selection of English books for older children.

Thanks in advice

PP

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping questions

Jayalakshmi also has Silk Sarees.

Kalyan is another one.

For books, Pai Co at the south end of Broadway and St. Francis shop a few meters north.

Suresh P R

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping questions

Hi,

Jayalashmy (0484 - 2366478) , Kalyan silks(0484 - 4081111) and another good options is Seematti.(0484 - 2353216, 0484 - 2353523).

For books you can try DC Books( 0484 - 3047405, 0484 - 2363215)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Arun Team Experience Kerala

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
11,045 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping questions

For books you can visit the book shop inside Oberon Mall. If you don't want to go out of the city, you can also try Paico on MG Road.

Pinkpower
Level Contributor
244 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping questions

Thanks all for the tips. One more thing, since MG road seems to be the place to shop...is there a Saravana Bhavan there and is it comparable to the branches in Chennai? We are vegetarian.

Tks again

PP

Pinkpower
Level Contributor
244 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping questions

Hi all, so can I just double check that Paico is our best bet for English language books ( including for kids) in Ernakulam. I was looking at the Lulu Mall and they seem to have a great bookstore as does Oberon Mall there but don't think we can make it there as it does not seem to be anywhere near Ernakulam

And can anyone let me know if the Saravana Bhavan in MG road is a good place for vegetarians?

Thanks lots!

PP

Vadodara, India
Destination Expert
for Gujarat, Kutch, Bhuj
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping questions

Hi pink power,

Savarna Bhavan is good for vegeterians with lot of variety to eat.

Cheers

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping questions

Two weeks ago, I spent 2 days along MG Road, for me Semmatti is a must visit for sarees and for women kurtas will be BIBA and Soch (in LuLu Mall, not sure if there is any along MG road). Not very sure but you may check out Manyavar for men Kurtas.

May visit LuLu Mall, housed many fashion showrooms catered both male and female from all age group.

Note: BIBA and Soch available in many cities in India.

8. Re: Shopping questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:53 am, December 19, 2013
9. Re: Shopping questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kochi (Cochin)