We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to take Anti-Malaria tabs in Cochin in Monsoon

London, England...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do I need to take Anti-Malaria tabs in Cochin in Monsoon

Hi All

I'd be really grateful for some much needed advice. It's a topic that has been covered before but all from a few years ago and lots of conflicting views.

I'm travelling to Cochin, India in two weeks and have had my jabs but unsure about whether I need to take anti-malaria tablets I am going to be there for 8 weeks during the Monsoon season. I will be staying in an air con hotel and working in air con offices. But, I may be doing tourtisty things at weekends etc.

So, I am rather confused as to whether these tablets are needed or not? I'd prefer to limit any chance of contracting Malaria (though Cochin is marked as a low to no risk area it's the adage of the rains and being by the back waters that have raised my concerns)

Thanks in advance.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
384 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to take Anti-Malaria tabs in Cochin in Monsoon

not really required

London, England...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to take Anti-Malaria tabs in Cochin in Monsoon

Thanks Ratheesh can I ask why this is?

New Delhi, Delhi...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to take Anti-Malaria tabs in Cochin in Monsoon

Since you are not accustomed to the Indian environment, I would suggest you to take you precautions.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need to take Anti-Malaria tabs in Cochin in Monsoon

And you're taking what could be vital medical advice from a travel forum why, exactly? Talk to your doctor, see the FCO advice for travellers, don't assume that other people will have had 100% the same experience to be able to give you guaranteed but totally unquaified advice.

I don't mean to be harsh, but after one visit to India and a lapse in "taking care of mysef" I spent 13 weeks in the N Middx Hospital.......

Mind you, it did not stop me going back

Edited: 7:04 am, May 24, 2013
London, England...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need to take Anti-Malaria tabs in Cochin in Monsoon

Hi Johnb

There is even conflicting advice from the 'professionals'. I had my jabs yesterday and the nurse couldn't give me a definitive answer. That said, I have booked a consultation with a travel clinic to get further confirmation of the best course of action. This is merely to get a sense/feel of peoples thoughts too.

I don't want to end up in you position.

6. Re: Do I need to take Anti-Malaria tabs in Cochin in Monsoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 26, 2014