We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kerala in the second half of september and budget worries

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Kerala in the second half of september and budget worries

Hi everyone,

my partner and I are in desperate need for a trip and are flirting with Kerala. We're never been to Kerala or India, our trips usually go to SEA, but we feel that India might be the better option this time.

The issue is that we have only a bit more that two weeks and we can only go in the second half of september (from approx. 10th onwards actually) and after paying for the flight, we have no more than 900 Euros ( if I'm correct, that's abbout 70.000 Rupees) for the approx. 16 days for everything, including traveling there, accomodation, massages, food..

What's really important to us are the following things:

1. Not absolutely crowded with tourists in dec-jan and over the holidays (I know, though one)

Edit: I should mention that we went to Bali two years ago and while I found Ubud the most agreeable of all the places which we visited, it really wasn't our thing. Way too many tourists and we also didn't like the guru and crystal stuff you find anywhere. Let a thousand flowers bloom, this is not to judge people who do like it. It's just not what we are looking for. I really don't want to offend anyone.

1. Not too touristy, no crowds of families with children, etc.

2. access to a white sand beach with clear, warm waters, swimming and snorkeling possible (for a few days, not the whole trip)

3. suitable for vegans/vetetarians and as animal-cruelty free as possible.

4. we are fans of yoga (beginners, not the really ambitious ones) and massages. We don't need this everyday, but it would be nice every second or third. However, we are not spiritual people and would prefer all of this in a more secular way, if this makes sense.

5. we like temples, monuments, statues and other cultural stuff, but not so much museums.

6. Friendly locals would be great, we try to be friendly people ourselves.

7. We're not into partying at all, we rather like to be on our own, but meeting locals would be nice, too.

Would you say Kerala is a good idea? Or should we go somewhere else?

Thanks so very much in advance for your help!

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kerala in the second half of september and budget worries

It is very much possible to do Kerala for 16 days in your budget for both of you and have a memorable holiday.

Here are my suggestons

Varkala & Marari are the best for Not too touristy, no crowds of families with children, etc. beaches that suits your tastes where there are yoga training places as well.

Triavndrum / Thrissur suits the places with temples, monuments, statues and other cultural stuff.

Varkala / Poovar in Kerala seems to be the beach / destination that suits your requirements and tastes.

Enjoy your trip :)

2. Re: Kerala in the second half of september and budget worries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, August 23, 2014
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question