We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re:Tour in Kerala

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
143 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Re:Tour in Kerala

My husband and I plan to spend at least 5 nights here - maybe 7.Read the tips from iris holidays and take note of it.Also read some posts and replies esp that of honeymoon couple.We plan on the ffg.:

1.Fly in to Kochi from mumbai/surat if there is aiport and flights?

2.Spend 2 nights in Kochi and check sights.

3.Visit Munnar -wanted to spend 1 night only.would this be enough to visit tea plantation and museum and would they be open?also read somewhere that munnar tea plant. not good and there are others better.If so please advise?

4.Also want to do backwaters tour.want to stay overnight on kettevellum.probably in aleppey.What would cost be and how to book?can I do it in Kochi or better to go to Aleppey and book?

Also when you say tour would the boat go from Aleppey to Kollam or just around Alleppey?

5.I was just looking at area from Kochi to Kollam as well as Munnar or should I go to other places too?

6.We plan on coming in Mid March or 2nd week April.Please tell me the weather conditions during both times and if advisable to do backwaters tour?

6.read about traffic and distances.Is the best way to go around by car.How much would it cost per day and how to hire?

7Can you advise a suggested itenary -will have to return via Kochi?

Thank you

Kerala
Destination Expert
for Kerala, Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Munnar
Level Contributor
7,126 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Re:Tour in Kerala

Hello Culturous,

please find below the suggestions

1. Fly Mumbai to Cochin

2.perfect

3. Spend 2 nights in Munnar . that would help to make it a comfortable trip and you get time to see around Munnar relaxingly . Considering the time you have for holiday , your arrival point ( Cochin) and the summer month , Munnar is the best choice

4. Houseboats , you arrive at Alleppey . The cost depends on the total number of people . It starts from Rs 7000 for a couple in single room houseboat to Rs 9000 onwards for two independent bed room houseboat . The houseboat cruise options are Alleppey - Alleppey , Alleppey - Kumarakom , Alleppey - Thotappally etc . The amount mentioned are rough estimate for Alleppey - Alleppey cruise ( check-in and Check out points as Alleppey )

5. If you have a week , you can explore the destinations south , like Beaches of Kovalam or Varkala, Kanyakumari etc . for 5 nights i would suggest - Cochin- Munnar - Backwaters

6. Mid match - April - May are summer months , so expect it to be hot and humid

7. for 5 nights and for Cochin- Munnar- Backwaters , i would suggest to hire a CAB, atleast for the duration from Cochin on day 3 - Munnar and until the backwaters .

The cost for a small car ( comfortable for 2 people) , Tata Indica is Rs 1500 / day / 150 KMS .

A bigger one , Toyota Innova cost is Rs 1600 / day /80 Kms

8-

5 nights

Cochin ( 2 nights) - Munnar ( 2 nights) - Backwaters ( 1 night)

a typical 7 night itinerary is

Munnar ( 2 nights) -Thekkady( 1 night)- Backwaters ( 1 night)- Kovalam - 2 Nights- Cochin (1 night)

now browse here for more info on each destinations and you can then decide which all destinations you want to have your holiday

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Re:Tour in Kerala

You can also checkout tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297631-i5501-k512… for answers to some of these queries and some tips :)

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
956 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re:Tour in Kerala

Hello,

if you are planning to take 7 days visit and wanted to return from Kochi, then you can have a very relaxed trip covering major destinations as Munnar, Thekkady, Gavi, Vagamon, Alleppey, Kochi. i.e. 2 days in Munnar, 2day in Thekkady (including Gavi), one day in Vagamon, One day in Alleppey and one day in Kochi.

Else if you can return from Trivandrum, you can also cover varkala, kovalam as Munnar -> Thekkady -> Gavi -> Alleppey -> Varkala -> Kovalam(Trivandrum)

Taking a taxi will help you to save time and spend more time enjoying the fun of the places.And since you are only two, its economical to take Tata Indica than any other vehicle. if you take the vehicle for whole trip, then the rates can be made more cheaper.

Mid of march will be fine in case of whether. In case of april it will be more hot. so you wont be feeling that comfortable as in march.

Cheers,

Sreejith P.C.

Team Experience Kerala

Edited: 12:47 pm, February 11, 2013
Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
143 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re:Tour in Kerala

Thank you for your suggestions.The car hire sounds good,however can we get it with a driver and would it cost more?

Also I said 1 night Munnar but 2 full days -leave early morning on Day 3 of arrival and go to Munnar overnight,then do tours and go to backwaters.Would this be too tight?How far is Aleppey from Munnar by car?

5. Re: Re:Tour in Kerala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 14, 2014