We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant rehab center near Bangalore?

Which Bengaluru hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pasadena, CA
7 posts
Save Topic
Elephant rehab center near Bangalore?

Can anyone help me out. Watched something on television a year or so ago-- about an elephant rehabilitation center somewhere near Bangalore? Not a national park, very humble, a kind of private preserve that took in elephants and took care of them. If anyone could give me any information on this place, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay)
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephant rehab center near Bangalore?

Not sure if this is the one you are talking about but I visited this place called Gajanur near Shimoga in Karnataka State and the Rogue Elephant Training Center was a nice place to visit and even give the elephants a bath at the river where they are taken everyday for a morning wash by their mahouts. Great opportunity for taking some pictures as well as having fun with them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Aadil.

bangalore
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephant rehab center near Bangalore?

hi marc, normally when in US they say near Bangalore it means something 4-7 hrs away from here.

i know of an elephant rehabilitation centre on the way from Mysore to Ooty -called Kargudi. it is famous in India. Mysore is 3-4 hrs from Bangalore and Kargudi should be around the same from Mysore.

hope this helps,

anil varghese

Bangalore

anilv26@yahoo.com

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
499 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephant rehab center near Bangalore?

hey man

Turleyhead is an expert on South India and i know for a fact that she has recently done this trip to this elephant center. You should tap into her knowledge.

kami

4. Re: Elephant rehab center near Bangalore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:35 pm, February 21, 2006
Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Elephant rehab center near Bangalore?

Hi,

There are MANY elephant centers in and around Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, and Kerala. Some are open to tourists for "human-elephant interaction" and some are most definitely not. All the care for domesticated or captured rogue elephants in India is overseen by the Forest Department. This includes the mahouts, who are mostly tribals and are given special consideration by the gov't. The use of elephants for logging has been illegal in India since the late 60s.

There is an elephant camp in Coorg, just near Kushalnagar called Dubare. (It's about 5 hours from Bangalore by road, via Mysore). The tourist program is run by Jungle Lodges, which is based in Bangalore. (You should be able to find them if you google the name. I know they have a website). The camp borders the forest area and is also right on the Kaveri river. You can bathe, feed, and interact with the elephants. Last time I was in the area, they only had a day program...but were in the process of building some tourist accommodation across the river (not sure that's such a great thing). There is a forest guesthouse on the property, but you have to get special permission from the forest department to stay there. There are also many nice homestays in the area...including stays on coffee plantations, as Coorg is THE place in India for growing coffee.

There are other elephant camps as well, but this one is probably the easiest one for most tourists to get to and experience.