We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving next week-- got a couple of questions...

Nagano, Japan
1 post
Save Topic
arriving next week-- got a couple of questions...

Dear all,

I'll be arriving at the Bangalore airport at 11:30 at night. Can anyone offer some safety advice...and/or some safer areas of town to look for hotels that don't cost hundreds of dollars for a single night? (I'm female, travelling alone until I can meet up with a friend after a couple of days.) Also, later on I'll be travelling down into rural parts of Tamil Nadu. Does anyone know if I can easily find Malarone malaria pills in the pharmacies in Bangalore, and if I'll need a prescription to get them?

Thanks very much,

Angie

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: arriving next week-- got a couple of questions...

Hi Oriyah,

The best safety advice I can give you is to book your hotel ahead of time for the first couple of nights and either arrange to have them pick you up at the airport, or to go to the Prepaid Taxi window located right next to the exit door inside of the airport. The taxi drivers outside always will try to rip you off and autorickshaws are not allowed to queue up near the airport exit, so it's difficult to get an autorickshaw upon arrival at the airport.

You definitely don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on a hotel, but give me a better idea of your budget per night. I wouldn't stay in a supercheap place or in the areas around the train station as a woman travelling alone. I would try to stay somewhere with some security and a decent level of service. There is a hotel called Atria that is a smaller hotel, not that well known, and with a good level of service and a good restaurant. I will check their prices and get back to you. Also, there is the St. Mark's Hotel...I'll check their prices also. That one is a bit more centrally located.