We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!!! I intend coming to Bangalore for a year IT training

Which Bengaluru hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nigeria
4 posts
Save Topic
Help!!! I intend coming to Bangalore for a year IT training

HI guys,

I've always been a fan of Indians generally and now I'm being offered the opportunity to undergo a training in one of IT firms in bangalore for a whole one year.I'm so,so thrilled.

Now I must make it a memorable one.But first of all,i really need to know what the accomodation facilities for a foreign student in Bangalore is like.talking about the price range and stuffs.

Again is feeding.what is the cost implication daily and if possible i wuld like to know what is there to eat.Infact any Info that will be helpful for a worth-while and memorable stay will be very much welcomed.

Thank you so much as you invest your time and effort in answering my query.

best regards,

Desmond.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,264 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!!! I intend coming to Bangalore for a year IT training

Dear Desmond -

You will not find food in Bangalore which is similar to what you are used to in Nigeria. Our food is not so much meat-based, and is probably more spicy than you are used to. It is best that you hire a small apartment and then you will be able to cook your own meals, or at least have one meal at home. That is also cheaper.

In the vegetable market, you can buy yam to make inyan or amala. You can buy cassava (manioc) to make eba. Groundnuts are available if you want to make stew. Rice is available everywhere if you want to make jollof. I suggest you bring some Africa Spice with you, you may not get the same things in the market here.

It is important to find accomodation close to your place of work. Otherwise you will have some really long commute from and to work. Some of the big IT campuses are outside the city, and can take an hour or more to get there if you are living inside the city. You can see rates and available accomodation at www.magicbricks.com. First choose what part of Bangalore will be close to your office.

- Deepa

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!!! I intend coming to Bangalore for a year IT training

As Deepa says, renting an apartment would be the best idea....but definitely close to work. The traffic scenario is really bad & we take hours commuting to work. Not only that, if you do not have your own vehicle, commuting is difficult as the only public transport available are buses, which are extremely crowded & difficult to find in all routes.

3 wheeler autorickshaws are available, but they will be a bit expensive for long distances. Besides, they are difficult to come by at night, in case you are stuck late at work. If you can be walking distance away from work, that's the best :)

The rental for an apartment would depend on its location in the city. It is also the norm in such cases, to take an advance rent of 10 months, so be prepared for it. This is refundable when you leave, like a deposit. If you are going to be alone, a 1-bedroom apartment should suffice. If it is with a group of friends, it helps, because the share in rent goes down.

Besides apartments, another option would be serviced apartments....they come fully furnished, so it would save you some trouble (though regular apartments with furniture too, may sometimes be available). A lot of the serviced apartments come with basic appliances like a fridge & a microwave....so, worth checking out (in the same website that Deepa has mentioned). Some even have laundry facilities.

The option of staying in a Paying Guest facility also exists, if you don't mind roughing it out. Rooms in a building are let out, with 3 or 4 people per room. It has a shared bathroom, a basic bed & a shared TV. They also cook breakfast, lunch & dinner for you. There is no organised website for paying guests, that I know of. You will have to hunt for it after you get here. These are extremely popular with students & working professionals since they are very cheap compared to other options.

Other than this, You do not have to worry about anything. Bangalore has a lot of malls & super-markets where you can find a wide variety of products/groceries.... maybe even brands that you use. As far as food goes, it will definitely be very different from what you eat back home, but there are plenty of options to choose from.

Have a great stay!

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!!! I intend coming to Bangalore for a year IT training

Your place of training, your budget and whether a pickup and drop is provided by your company will determine your choices.Once you have these answers it is a lot easier to advise.

Nigeria
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!!! I intend coming to Bangalore for a year IT training

oh thanks guys.All your replies has been extremely helpful.I really do appreciate.

The idea of going for an apartment(preferably serviced) is fantastic.i wish i could get an estimate.

Deepa,you seems to know a lot about my country and their kind of food.I want to believe you have been to my country or something.wonder if I could reach you personally.all the same,thank you so much and not forgeting "Wander". get in touch soon...

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,264 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!!! I intend coming to Bangalore for a year IT training

No I have not been to Nigeria, I read up about Nigerian cuisine and tried to compare with what we can buy in the market in India. I work with some Kenyans and Ugandans, I know the kind of food they like - they don't like Indian food. They find it too spicy and too complex...not enough porridge or simple mashed food.

Nigeria
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!!! I intend coming to Bangalore for a year IT training

wow! sound so interesting.thanks again for your time and effort.it's really being nice knowing you.I only wish I could contact you for some more information that i may need or you can even link me up with someonelse you know that equally wont mind being of help to me.that would make it a lot easier for me.

Incase you dont mind,my email is mekky@india.com.there, you can send me your email.Very grateful..

7. Re: Help!!! I intend coming to Bangalore for a year IT training

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 30, 2009