We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation and centrally situated hotels

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Topic
Transportation and centrally situated hotels

Thanks to helpful posters on the Chennai forum I already have the info on rental cars while in Chennai; we are now planning a trip to Bangalore from Chennai for a few days; will base ourselves in Bangalore and then visit Hampi, Mysore and Bhadravathi.

Is the train from Chennai to Bangalore recommended or should we fly? We'd like to experience some train travel and although flying will save us time, we'll opt for the train if local posters think it will give us an interesting and enjoyable experience.

Once in Bangalore, we will need to hire a car to take us to the places mentioned above. Any recommendations for a reliable car rental agency there? Also, in which area of Bangalore should we search for a hotel from where we can easily get to places of interest?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Chennai (Madras)
Chennai (Madras)
Chennai District, India
Bangalore District
Bangalore District
Karnataka, India
Hampi
Hampi
Bellary District, India
Mysuru (Mysore)
Mysuru (Mysore)
Mysore District, India
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Transportation and centrally situated hotels

Using a post on this Forum as a recommendation, I have booked D'Habitat Serviced Apartments - website:

d-habitat.com/about-dhabitat-hotel-apartment…

for our stay in January. It's a great-looking site and Girish has been very efficient in replying to my numerous emails.

Enjoy your holiday.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Transportation and centrally situated hotels

Gjo: Thank you for the info; Nelluda, thanks for that link, I will contact them.

Gjo: We have two senior citizens in our group; I'm wondering if the 6 hour car trip to Hampi may be too much for them especially if it rains and the roads are not too good. I've read about accidents on highways out of Chennai and Bangalore - so am a bit worried about safety as well ( not that we don't have accidents here!!). Train versus car - which will be safer and more comfortable, for travel to Bhadravathi, Mysore and Hampi? And... is an Innova preferable to a Qualis - if so, why? We will take minimal luggage and there will be five of us.

Thanks a lot!

Mentioned in this post
Hampi
Hampi
Bellary District, India
Chennai (Madras)
Chennai (Madras)
Chennai District, India
Bangalore District
Bangalore District
Karnataka, India
Mysuru (Mysore)
Mysuru (Mysore)
Mysore District, India
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Transportation and centrally situated hotels

And D'Habitat can also help with car hire. They have pictures on their site and Girish is efficient in providing quotes. The Innova is a new-model Toyota.

As I've said, we haven't been on our trip yet, but I personally believe that if the car hire is booked by the accommodation, then there is less possibility of "things going wrong".

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Transportation and centrally situated hotels

Daytime travel is far safer than at night, and the rains will taper off in the next fortnight(although the past fortnight has seen unusually heavy rains here in Bangalore). Innova is bigger, more powerful and more comfortable than the Qualis, and is, IMHO, the best vehicle for road travel in India. The problem with train travel to the places you mention, is that you may not be able to go to those places without backtracking to Bangalore each time. By road you dont need to backtrack, so the overall travel time wil be halved.

Mentioned in this post
Bangalore District
Bangalore District
Karnataka, India
U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Transportation and centrally situated hotels

Thanks a lot, Gjo and Nelluda. We'll get the Innova.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Transportation and centrally situated hotels

Do post feedback after your trip,so that tohers can also know how it went and what you enjoyed best. While in Bangalore, try out some ethnic veggie food, you will enjoy it. South Indies on the 100ft road in Indiranagar is a newish and good upmarket place to try, though its advisable to make table reservations.Also while doing the longer trips by road, carry water, biscuits and fresh fruits to munch along the way, esp for the seniors.

Mentioned in this post
Bangalore District
Bangalore District
Karnataka, India
U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Transportation and centrally situated hotels

Thanks, Gjo.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Transportation and centrally situated hotels

Gjo, Deepa, others: yep, it's moi again. Have a couple of questions:

1) Since we have to return to Chennai after our Bangalore trip, do we travel Bangalore- Hampi- Mysore/Bhadravathi and back or the other way around? We will be travel(l)ling by train to Bangalore, then hiring a car there.

2) What is the difference between the B&B's and "Other Lodgings" ( which include serviced apts similar to ones listed under B & B's as well as condos) listed under the Hotels section on this forum? Seems that either or both offer cooking facilities? Or are your B & B's similar to the ones we have here - room and breakfast only, no kitchenette.

Sorry for my ignorant questions - I'm trying to plan this BIG trip ( Cambodia included) and get a mild case of mental block, now and then :-) :-).

Thanks again!!

Mentioned in this post
Chennai (Madras)
Chennai (Madras)
Chennai District, India
Bangalore District
Bangalore District
Karnataka, India
Hampi
Hampi
Bellary District, India
Mysuru (Mysore)
Mysuru (Mysore)
Mysore District, India
Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Transportation and centrally situated hotels

I dont think you need worry too much about the sequence-it really doesnt matter too much which you do first, since you start and end in Bangalore. Do whatever suits you!

Re serviced apts and B&B, I think you need to check what's on offer. The bigger ones -say a two bedroom unit may have kitchenettes, whereas the smaller ones may not. Again ask for details and you will get the picture. Sorry if I havent been able to be more helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Bangalore District
Bangalore District
Karnataka, India
U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Transportation and centrally situated hotels

Thanks, Gjo. I did check with places in both categories; some listed under B &B's are really "full-service" ( not breakfast only)while others are not! Hence my confusion.

Thanks again and I guess we'll decide once we get to Bangalore, which route to take.

Mentioned in this post
Bangalore District
Bangalore District
Karnataka, India