We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

strikes on every wednesday???

New Delhi, India
6 posts
Save Topic
strikes on every wednesday???

Dear TA members n experts,

I have my tickets booked for 27th of march for Srinagar & it happens to be a wednesday. MMM issues calenders for protests in Srinagar every week & everytime it starts on a wednesday. So if anyone could advise me how to proceed from the Srinagar airport when i land, i would be grateful. I have booked a houseboat in Nageen lake for 27th & 28th March. I have no idea what to do......

Any advice would be much appreciated....Thanks in advance....

Mentioned in this post
Srinagar
Srinagar
Srinagar District, India
India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
39,195 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: strikes on every wednesday???

docatlivana

You can move to the houseboat even it is curfew there. Private cars, taxis will be available at the airport.

Edited: 4:13 am, March 18, 2013
gurgaon
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: strikes on every wednesday???

Ashish ji,

My flight for srinagar is for 20 mar. Considring the latest situation, is it safe to travel . ( we have 2 kids with us ) or should i try to play safe and push travel to may june

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
39,195 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: strikes on every wednesday???

rachujkg

If possible, you may post-pone the trip to May-June, to give more time to settled down the present issue.

Edited: 7:47 am, March 18, 2013
gurgaon
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: strikes on every wednesday???

Thank you ashish ji

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,169 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: strikes on every wednesday???

It is better to avoid going to such places till situation is normal again.

deepak

6. Re: strikes on every wednesday???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:39 pm, March 23, 2013
New Delhi, India
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: strikes on every wednesday???

Thanks Ashishji. I really appreciate your response and all the effort you take to answer all the queries.

I need more advice....

Could you also tell me whether the airport bus runs on holidays like Holi?

does the tourist office stay open on public holidays?

Can Yusmurg be a half day trip ..like a post lunch trip from Srinagar & the best way to see yumurg: private taxi/ public transport? Or is it better to leave for yusmurg in the morning n go directly from yusmurg to Pahalgam? I wud reach on 27th and would be back on 1st April & in the short time dont want to miss out Yousmurg apart from Pahalgam, Gulmarg & Sonmarg....

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Srinagar
Srinagar
Srinagar District, India
Pahalgam
Pahalgam
Anantnag District, India
Gulmarg
Gulmarg
Baramulla District, India
Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: strikes on every wednesday???

I will not suggest public transport for the current situation in Kashmir. To be safe, we preferred hired cab. Earlier plan was to use public transport but you never know when situation turns and worsen being in Kashmir.

Also, Its tough to get one way cab from Gulmarg to Srinagar.

I'll recommend please hire a cab and follow driver's advice, to be on safer side if situation get worse.

Mentioned in this post
Kashmir
Kashmir
Jammu and Kashmir, India
Gulmarg
Gulmarg
Baramulla District, India
Srinagar
Srinagar
Srinagar District, India
India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,195 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: strikes on every wednesday???

docatlivana

Airport bus will be in operation in 'holi' day. TRC is open in public holidays also. Yusmarg can't be done in half a day, neither transfer to Pahalgam directly from Yusmarg is recommended. Do not loaded the itinerary with more places in a limited time frame, otherwise none of the places can be seen properly.

Edited: 11:51 am, March 20, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Pahalgam
Pahalgam
Anantnag District, India
10. Re: strikes on every wednesday???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 22, 2014