We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My solo travel in Kashmir for more than 30 day

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
My solo travel in Kashmir for more than 30 day

I travelled in Kashmir for more than a month and this is my blog about some parts of it.

Feel free to write me a message if you have a question

https://goo.gl/sZ6Tpu

Mentioned in this post
Kashmir
Kashmir
Jammu and Kashmir, India
17 replies to this topic
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My solo travel in Kashmir for more than 30 day

Hi Kanika G,

Wow:) What a nice read ! Love your tone of voice, you absolutely must post more !!!

Well done...... good luck.

Cheers,

Jitender

GO MY JOURNEY

Edited: 7:30 am, August 13, 2017
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My solo travel in Kashmir for more than 30 day

Kanika, great to see solo travellers - especially ladies - enjoying Kashmir. Does Gulshan's coffee shop sell some pastries or svouries along with the coffee? Can one loll and lounge with the books for the entire day at Gulshan's?

Tell us more about your fishing adventure on the Dal - where did you get the rods and the bait; charges; what fish did you catch; did you or the boatman do the cleaning of the fish?

But no remote places like Gurez, Lolab, Doodhpathiri ?

Mentioned in this post
Kashmir
Kashmir
Jammu and Kashmir, India
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: My solo travel in Kashmir for more than 30 day

Really great and salute u r brave

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My solo travel in Kashmir for more than 30 day

Thank you so much Jitender for reading my blog.

I request you to subscribe to my blog to get my blogs in your inbox!

You can also follow me on insta/FB page @LifeOutside2by2

If you are ever planning a trip to Kashmir, I will be very happy to guide you :)

Kanika

Mentioned in this post
Kashmir
Kashmir
Jammu and Kashmir, India
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My solo travel in Kashmir for more than 30 day

Thank you very much for reading my blog. Your questions will only refresh my memory :)

I was amazed to see how well women were treated and respected in Kashmir. The men were fascinated, but never once did they break the code of conduct.

Anyway, Gulshan has the best view of the lake, millions of books, coffee (substandard) and cookies and stuff. Nothing too fancy. But if you are a book lover, like me, you will forget what the coffee shop does or doesnt offer! You can lounge there all day and i think there is a restaurant right below it. I think, not sure.

Now about fishing at Dal. This was i think the rawest experience I had. I dont eat fish nor do I know how to fish. So when I went with 2 locals, they took me in the middle of the lake, gave me basic indigenous fishing equipment. Bamboo made rods and home made potatoes for bait. My intention was only to catch it and throw it back into the water. I didnt really pay anything since i made friends with these locals and they just took me out one evening. I am not sure what fish I caught, but I think it was trout.. Also, we had also gone with the same boatman before when he caught and cleaned the fish for us that we later cooked on board.

Since i was stuck in Srinagar due to curfew, i did all sorts of crazy things! After the curfew lifted I went to aru, trekked in Lidderwat, went to Chatpal and explored the nearby villages on foot. I also went to Gurez and Tulail valley. I am in the process of writing that blog too. Will share it soon!

Meanwhile, here is my blog for Aru Valley, Lidderwat and Pahalgam :)

https://goo.gl/Qr29cX

I connect you with all these locals if you are ever planning a trip to Kashmir. You can write to me personally and I will share all the details.

Thanks

Kanika

Mentioned in this post
Kashmir
Kashmir
Jammu and Kashmir, India
Srinagar
Srinagar
Srinagar District, India
Aru Valley
Aru Valley
773 Reviews
Pahalgam, India
Pahalgam
Pahalgam
Anantnag District, India
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My solo travel in Kashmir for more than 30 day

Kanika - thanks. Your pieces are so rich that they should make a difference to any intrepid travellers - female or male.

Your Lidderwat experience will be one any traveller will be proud of - even though some may think it is a failure. But the richness of the human interactions in a beautiful place- one important reason why people travel.

Your rice and haq story is beautiful on the banks of the Lidder. Last summer, just before Burhan was killed,I was at Srinagar for a short time on my way to Leh - again, as you mentioned, I was using Srinagar primarily t as a launch pad to reach Leh. I was curious about this saag called Haq - because you don't find it elsewhere in India (at least not easily). A vegetable vendor gave gave me a bunch free - I just wanted to take a look at the raw greens - they are collard greens.

If you can, just pm me Bashir bhai's contacts - will be useful for my next trip. From your details, looks like Bashir bhai leads to interesting contacts along the way.

Superb adventure Kanika! Will wait for your Gurez and Tulail Valley input.

Mentioned in this post
Srinagar
Srinagar
Srinagar District, India
Leh
Leh
Leh District, India
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My solo travel in Kashmir for more than 30 day

Oh wow. I find anybody's haq story so relatable :)

Thank you for reading my blog intently. I will PM you the numbers of locals who helped me and I can personally vouch for each one of them. Hope you use them too some day :)

Kanika

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My solo travel in Kashmir for more than 30 day

Thanks Kanika, that will be very helpful. When you have written about your Gurez and Tulian Lake details, just put in a reminder on the Kashmir forum here that it is ready. Difficult to get details on the internet on these places.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Kashmir
Kashmir
Jammu and Kashmir, India
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My solo travel in Kashmir for more than 30 day

I will do that :)

Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: My solo travel in Kashmir for more than 30 day

madam I have one question just one ward .what to do in kashmir and what should not

Reply to: My solo travel in Kashmir for more than 30 day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted