We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus or Plane?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bus or Plane?

Initially I was planning to take the 14 hour bus to Manali .

I've since also considered that perhaps it may be easier to just fly there?

If so, which flight.

I'm also a little confused as to what happens after I arrive by flight?

Apparently there is still another two hours by taxi from the airport before I actually reach Manali - is this true?

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,931 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus or Plane?

Bhuntar is around fifty klicks from Manali , which means between one and two hours on these roads. The third option is train : Jogindernagar is the same distance from Manali , you go first to Pathankot , then switch to narrow gauge train - no first hand experience on this , but supposed to be a nice and slow ride.

Don´t know any stats , but Bhuntar airport will be socked out from time to time in the monsoon.

Edited: 1:01 pm, August 12, 2011
india
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus or Plane?

Hi ,

Delhi - Bhuntar flight is very unpredictable and very costly.

On option you can reach Chandigarh by air/train from Delhi and take a car journey of 7-8 hours from Chandigarh.

thanks

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,931 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus or Plane?

The train from Pathankot won´t be an option for some time , the railway bridge at Jogindernagar was taken out by floods yesterday.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus or Plane?

Yes, it will take you a couple of hours once you land at Kullu(bhuntar) airport.

But still, this is the fastest option to reach Manali. Alternatively, fly till Chandigarh & take a taxi from there. Road journey will take close to 8 hrs from Chandigarh.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
37,382 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus or Plane?

Delhi -Manali flight is most irregular, it would be convenient to do Delhi to Chandigarh by train and from there taxi or bus to Manali.

AshisRoy

Edited: 7:52 am, August 13, 2011
6. Re: Bus or Plane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:06 pm, August 14, 2011
7. Re: Bus or Plane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, October 10, 2012