We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shimla-manali by self driven innova car

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
shimla-manali by self driven innova car

hello all. Me and my cousins are planning to go to shimla-manali in june second week. Iam planning to drive an innova from delhi to shimla and then manali and back to delhi. We will prefer air mode for mumbai-delhi and back.

Please suggest me the best itinerary with hotels. We will arrive delhi on 12th june morning and will be back on 21st june by afternoon flight.

Please don't mind, i have some questions also, 1. is delhi-shimla-manali-delhi road is safe? 2. feasibility of driving a car by a lady driver, i mean the do and donts. 3. what precautions should i have to take while driving? 4. suggest me best and safe route.

Thank you in advance.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
8,261 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shimla-manali by self driven innova car

hi divyaa464..

suggested itinerary is-

june 12- arrive delhi - leave for shimla via chandigarh/kalka - distance 360 kms - total time will be approx 9 hrs -reach shimla - night stay- if you like you can take a night halt at chandigarh and from chandigarh the distance will remain 130 kms..

june 13- local sightseeing

june 14-kufri/chail/kasauli

june 15 - naldehra-evening lesisure

june 16-early morning move to manali - total distance will be 260 kms - time approx 8 hrs- check in hotel

june 17 - rohtang pass

june 18 - gulaba/solang

june 19 manikaran/kullu

june 20-leave early for delhi - 552 kms - take a night halt at chandigarh - almost 9 hrs.

june 21 - leave early for delhi - 250 kms - 5 hrs-fly back.

i will suggest you to skip one day , where you like in itinerary and come to delhi one day before- get relaxed and fly back.

best hotel in shimla is hotel silverine/honeymoon inn/raddison - depends on your budget.

manali- manu allaya / holiday cottages manali /honeymoon inn

road to shimla, manali and back is safe and good..only avoid traveling in night time

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,261 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shimla-manali by self driven innova car

hi divyaa464..

a lady can also drive as efficiently as a male driver....but avoid driving in night time..road is good..keep a map with you.

from delhi to shimla - the route is - delhi-panipat-karnal-ambala cantt-zirakpur-chandigarh-kalka-shimla-parwanoo-dharampur-shimla

shimla - manali is

shimla-kufri-fagu-narkanda-banjar-larji-bhuntar-kullu-manali

you have to ask continuously while driving in delhi-once you headed towards panipat then you can take help of sigh boards..

in feb 2009 i have driven my innova from mumbai-delhi-shimla-manali and back. Road from delhi is good, popular, wellknown by everybody. people are helping kind of nature- so no issue.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,261 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shimla-manali by self driven innova car

hi divyaa464..

before taking charge of innova - check all the documents carefully if taking it from travel agency - check the condition of vehicle - if possible check engine/brake/gear oil - check the condition of stepny Tyre - keep an extra can fuel in the car - check the toolbox/medical kit ..

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: shimla-manali by self driven innova car

hello lalbahadur ji. If am not doing mistake then you are the one who guided me for my raipur trip. First of all i want to thank you a lot. The driver you suggested was just brilliant. Everything was perfect.

Thank you again for the itinerary and suggestions. Its unbelievable that you have driven car straight from mumbai and back, i cant even think about it. I will take my uncle's innova, who lives in vasant vihar delhi. Iam planning to travel with my 4 cousins and an aunt. Its good that you have already done this circuit :) so that i can ask you some more questions.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,261 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shimla-manali by self driven innova car

hi divyaa464

your most welcome....ofcourse you can ask your queries, thats why we all are here in this forum.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: shimla-manali by self driven innova car

hello lalbahadur ji. as per your experience ,do you really think that a lady driver can complete this journey? am driving vehicles since last 10 years and almost expert. I did journeys by self driving to bangalore, hyderabad, but never in hill area like shimla, manali. But in other hand i have confidence on myself that i can do. What points you can share on my thoughts?..

am thinking to skip a day from shimla and come one day before to delhi, will it be okay? or should i have to skip a day from manali?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,261 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shimla-manali by self driven innova car

Hi divya 464

Yes a lady driver can also drive on hill area, no doubt. As you said that you are much experienced to handle it. I will suggest you to take driver with you if you havnt driven vehicle on hill road, and on the other hand will boost your courage to self drive..

Skip a day from shimla, and come one day before to delhi..much better..

Kurukshetra, India
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shimla-manali by self driven innova car

Hi divyaa464

I always appreciate guidance given by Mr Lal Bahadur,he has answered most of your queries

I just want to add-do take a driver with you(always helpful on long drives)

Secondly From Shimla to Manali i won't advise you Jalori pass route being female driver & rough route

Better take conventional route of Shimla -tutu-darlaghat-bilaspur-mandi-pandoh-aut-bhunter-kullu-manali

or Shimla-dhalli-naldhera-tattapani-chindi-rohangalu-sundernagar-mandi-onwards

just suggestion

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: shimla-manali by self driven innova car

hello lalbahadurji. You have really boosted my courage. My uncle's car is new, then also i will check the points mentioned by you. I have budget for hotel is around 5k max per night , so kindly suggest me the best hotel in this budget.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: shimla-manali by self driven innova car

hello aggrawalji. Lalbahadurji is really a good traveler and always eager to help other.

Is road to manali from shimla via bilaspur and mandi is better ? Please describe me the route. Have you been on that road?kindly share your experience.