We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Himachal Pradesh, August 20th 2011 onwards, suggestions

Bangalore, India
9 posts
Save Topic
Himachal Pradesh, August 20th 2011 onwards, suggestions

Date/place of (planned) arrival & departure:

20th August at Shimla. Planning to depart to Delhi on 30th August 2011

How many people in group, and what ages? - 2. Husband and wife

Mode of transport:

Would love to take the toy train ride from Kalka to Shimla

Rest of the places in Shimla would be covered by car

Preferred mode of transport : Taxi's or car and driver.

Daytime or overnight travel between places? - Daytime travele is preferred between places

How flexible are you regarding your itinerary?

Few of the places i have in my mind are:Shimla, Kullu, Manali, Dalhousie, Dharamshala, Kufri, Chail,

Dharamshala,Khajjiar,Dalhousie ,Kinnaur,Kasauli,Sarahan,Tabo.

I do not want to cover all of these.

These were just some of the places which people thought were worth visiting in Himachal Pradesh.

I have just provided a list of all such places and i would like to know which among them could be covered.

I am ready to drop places and accomodate only the ones which make sense to cover.

So i would like to know what would be the best itenary and the order in which it would make sense to cover?

If there are other places which i have not listed and you feel that its worth covering, then i would love to hear them too.

Which among the above could be covered in 10 days?

What would be the ideal itenary?

I would also love staying 2 days in scenic places before moving on to the next one.

Here is a brief description of what i would want to do:

Hello,

I stay in Bangalore and am planning to visit Himachal Pradesh towards the end of August.

I am planning to spend approximately 10 days in Himachal Pradesh.

I would like to visit the various scenic places there.

My plan is something like this:

1.Travel by air from Bangalore to Delhi

2.Travel from Delhi to Kalka

3.Take the toy train ride to Shimla from Kalka

I am planning to finish the above in a day. Is this feasible?

I would like to stay overnight at Shimla.

My journey in Himachal would begin the next day.

Which are the most important and scenic places to visit in Himachal?

Kindly guide me as i am totally unaware of the places.

Some of the places suggested are as follows:

Shimla, Kullu, Manali, Dalhousie, Dharamshala, Kufri, Chail,

Dharamshala,Khajjiar,Dalhousie ,Kinnaur,Kasauli,Sarahan,Tabo.

I dont want to visit all of these places. However please suggest the ones which are most scenic and beautiful and most importnat.

Also kindly suggest the order in which travelling would be good.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Kiran Hegde

Delhi
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Himachal Pradesh, August 20th 2011 onwards, suggestions

Delhi to Kalka you can do an overnight journey by train and catch the connecting toy train early morning from Kalka which reaches Shimla around noon.3 Nights In Shimla would be perfect,covering Naldhera,Chail also.From there you can proceed ahead to Narkanda / Thanedar stay for 1 night there and move further ahead in the Sangla Valley staying at either Sarhan though it is at a lower altitude or anywhere in between for a night.You can cover the last Indian village Chitkul and retrace your route taking the Jalori pass to Manali.03 Nights again in Manali.I do not think you should attempt any more than this as it would be tiring and no fun.The charm of a destination in not there if you are rushing around from 1 place to another.In face you can increase a day or two at Sangla.In case you do not want to do the Sangla region then from Shimla you can directly move to Manali and then either Dalhousie or Dharamshala and back to Delhi.

Bangalore, India
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Himachal Pradesh, August 20th 2011 onwards, suggestions

Thanks for responding back patiently to my question.

From your answer, it is evident that there are different regions to cover. You have suggested two regions in your answer.

Which among the above is worth covering and more scenic?

Is it a good time to visit starting August 20th?

Here are few of the itenaries i have come across from travel guides:

Please suggest which is more suitable.

Iternary 1:

Day 01. DELHI / CHANDIGARH (260kms / 5 hrs) Arrival & pickup from the airport / railway station. Transfer to Chandigarh. Check into hotel, Relax, Sightseeing of Pinjore gardens. Dinner and overnight stay.

Day 02. CHANDIGARH / DALHOUSIE (350kms / 7hrs) After breakfast depart for Dalhousie , Check into hotel, Day at leisure, Visit the Mall dinner & overnight stay.

Day 03. DALHOUSIE - CHAMBA - KHAJJIAR - DALHOUSIE ( 52kms ) After breakfast take an excursion to Chamba, enroute visiting Khajjiar, Return to the hotel for Dinner & overnight stay.

Day 04. DALHOUSIE / DHARAMSHALA ( 143kms / 5hrs) Early breakfast & depart for Dharamshala, Check into the hotel, & Relax. Proceed to Mcleodganj, Return to hotel, Dinner & overnight stay.

Day 05. DHARAMSHALA Breakfast & day at leisure, Proceed for Sightseeing of Kangra Museum (Optional). Return to hotel, Dinner & overnight stay.

Day 06. DHARAMSHALA / MANALI ( 235kms / 8hrs) Early Breakfast, Depart for Manali. Check in to hotel, Dinner and overnight stay.

Day 07. MANALI Breakfast & depart for excursion to Rothang Pass Return to hotel Dinner & overnight stay.

Day 08. MANALI Breakfast & depart for excursion to Solang Valley & Hadimba Temple. Return to hotel. Dinner & overnight stay.

Day 09. MANALI / SHIMLA (270 kms / 8 hrs) Early breakfast & depart for Shimla. Enroute visit Kullu - The Valley of Gods. Arrive Shimla & Check in to hotel. Dinner & overnight stay.

Day 10. SHIMLA Breakfast & depart to visit Vicerergal Lodge and take an excursion to Chail, Kufri and Jhakoo hills. Dinner and overnight stay.

Day 11. SHIMLA / PARWANOO ( 90kms / 2 hrs) Breakfast. Depart for Parwanoo. Check in hotel. Enjoy a cable car ride. Return to the hotel for dinner and overnight stay.

Day 12. PARWANOO / DELHI (270 kms / 5hrs.) Breakfast and checkout, transfer to Delhi airport or railway station for your onward journey, Come back to your Origin with sweet memories.

Itenary 2:

Day 1 : Delhi - Shimla [350 kms/8 hrs]

On arrival at Delhi, drive to Shimla. This hill station that is perched at 7000 feet above sea level. The heady combinations of Chill mountain air, orchards and colonial charms still make Shimla, a dream getaway. On arrival, check into the hotel. Overnight at the Shimla.

Day 2 : Shimla - Kufri - Shimla [16 kms One way]

Today enjoy full day sightseeing tour of Shimla Hills visit Chail Valley, Kufri Valley, Fagu Valley. In the evening visit the Mall road - a good shopping area, the ridge area and Christ Church. Return back to hotel. Overnight at Shimla.

Day 3 : Shimla - Manali [260 kms | approx 7/8 hrs drive]

After breakfast, enjoy half day sightseeing tour of Shimla visit - Lakkar Bazar, Jakhoo Hill, St. Michael’s Cathedral. In the afternoon transfer to Manali. Manali is a combination of natural splendor and rich heritage. Check in at the hotel on arrival. Rest of the day is at leisure. Overnight at Manali.

Day 4 : Manali

After breakfast at the hotel, proceed for sightseeing tour of Manali which includes Hadimba Devi Temple built in the tranquil and serene woods, Vashist Bath, Tibetan Monastery and Roerich Art Gallery. In the afternoon, take a half-day tour of Naggar Castle and Angoora Shawls Factory. Overnight at Manali.

Day 5 : Manali

Early morning after breakfast, proceed for excursion of Rohtang Pass. The majesty of the mountains can be seen at their best here. Take sledge ride down the slopes or try your luck climbing the little snow hills (From December to April). On your descent to Manali, halt at the Rahalla falls and Solang Valley. The magnificent views and natural beauty are never-ending source of delight. Also halt at Marhi, Nehru Kund. Overnight at Manali.

Day 6 : Manali - Dharamsala

After breakfast, proceed to Dharamsala (152kms/3hrs). On arrival, check in at the hotel. In the evening half day city tour visiting Dal Lake, Church, Bhagsu Nag Temple and Tibetan Monastery. Overnight at Dharamsala.

Day 7 : Dharamsala - Dalhousie

Morning after breakfast, depart for Dalhousie (4hrs). It is situated at 2039 mts in the outer slopes of the Dhaula Dhar range with its natural beauty and natural surroundings. On arrival, check-in at the hotel. Rest of the day is for leisure and shopping. Overnight at Dalhousie.

Day 8 : Dalhousie – Khajjiar - Dalhousie

Full day sightseeing to Khajjiar, 18 kms from Dalhousie. Its one of the most scenic saucer shaped Plateau and is surrounded by dense pine and deodar forests, its beauty has further been enhanced by a small lake in the center with a floating island and 9-hole golf course here are the other interesting places to cover. Return to Dalhousie for an overnight stay at the hotel.

Day 9 : Dalhousie - Chandigarh [300 kms/(approx 9/10hrs drive)]

After breakfast checkout and drive to Chandigarh. Arrive and transfer to the hotel. Overnight stay at Chandigarh.

Day 10 : Chandigarh Departure

Morning city tour of Chandigarh visiting the famous Rock Garden - the lifetime dream of Mr. Nek Chand, Sukhna Lake - the beautiful lake that is the major attraction of Chandigarh. Later transfer to airport/railway station to board your flight/train to onward destination from Chandigarh.

Itenary 3:

Itinerary

Day1: Chandigarh

On arrival check-in hotel. Day free to explore the city. Dinner and night stay in hotel.

Day2: Chandigarh – Shimla

After breakfast proceed to kalka railway station and board your train to Shimla. On arrival

pick-up from railway station and transfer to hotel. Dinner and night stay at hotel in Shimla.

Day3: Shimla

After breakfast visit Kuffri, Naldehra and institute of advance studies. Evening free on Mall

Road and Ridge. Dinner and night stay at Shimla in hotel.

Day3: Shimla – Manali

After breakfast transfer to Manali. On arrival check-inn hotel. Evening Enjoy walk on Mall

Road. Dinner and night stay at hotel in Manali.

Day4: Manali

After breakfast excursion to Rohtang Pass, on the way visit Rahalla Fall, Ranni Nallah, Kothi

and Marhi. Evening visit Solang Nallah. Dinner and night stay at hotel in Manali.

Day5: Manali

After breakfast visit Hadimba temple, Tibetian Monestary, old Manali and Vishisht temple.

Dinner and night stay at hotel.

Day6: Manali – Dharamshala

After early breakfast transfer to Dharamshala. Dinner and night stay at Dharamshala in Hotel.

Day7: Dharamshala

After breakfast visit church, market in Mcleod Ganj, Tibetan Monastery and Bhagsunag

temple. Dinner and night stay at DharmaShala

Day8: Dharamshala – Dalhousie

After early Breakfast transfer to Dalhousie. Sightseeing in Dalhousie visit Subash Baoli,

churches and Panchpula. Night stay in a hotel in Dalhousie

Day9: Dalhousie

After Breakfast sightseeing of Khajiar and Kala Top. Night Stay at hotel in Dalhousie.

Day 10: Dalhousie – Pathankot (Departure)

After breakfast drop at Pathankot railway station.

As usual,any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Kiran Hegde

3. Re: Himachal Pradesh, August 20th 2011 onwards, suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, July 14, 2011
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Himachal Pradesh, August 20th 2011 onwards, suggestions

Hi Kiran,

I am from himachal & presently based in bangalore. Let me give you some recommendations/suggestions for your august trip. Himachal has 3 major tourist circuits namely, shimla, kullu manali & dharamsala dalhousie.

All 3 are unique in themselves & offer different experiences. But traveling in between could be tiring. Here is the rough time taken between different places:

shimla - manali : 7-8 hrs

manali - dharamsala : 6-7 hrs

dharamsala - dalhousie : 3-4 hrs

To me, itinerary 3 makes more sense. Regarding traveling after august 20th, well its towards end of monsoons but you can expect rains through out your trip. the weather would remain pleasant & surrounding more verdant.....

Bangalore, India
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Himachal Pradesh, August 20th 2011 onwards, suggestions

Hello Ashish,

Thanks a ton for your advice. Is there a number on which i can call you?

I need some information from you.

Please send me a private messgae with your number.

Thanks,

Kiran Hegde

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Himachal Pradesh, August 20th 2011 onwards, suggestions

have sent my no as pvt msg

cheers

Ashish

7. Re: Himachal Pradesh, August 20th 2011 onwards, suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, October 05, 2012