We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Delhi/Gurgaon

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Delhi/Gurgaon

Hi folks,

As you're probably all aware, Delhi has been in the news for all the wrong reasons with regards to safety of women. My wife and I are planning a trip there soon, and I wanted your honest opinion on dos/don'ts. She's not Indian, so she'll probably stand out a lot more. We plan on staying with family and traveling by a private car etc. We also don't really have any plans of going out to night clubs and that sort of thing. It would be tourism in Delhi/Agra, and some food and shopping in the Delhi/Gurgaon vicinity. It's her first trip to India, and my first trip to Delhi, so any tips and suggestions, given the recent horrific news would put me at ease.

I've posted this in the Delhi forum too.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Agra
Agra
Agra District, India
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
296 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Delhi/Gurgaon

It should not be a problem at all. You yourself have to take precautions while talking to strangers and going to low lit places at night. Moreover you are with family, so it wont be an issue!!

Gurgaon, India
Level Contributor
227 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Delhi/Gurgaon

You need not to worry too much.

Delhi & gurgaon are pretty safe places.

Millions of foreign tourist come to India and have a memorable experience.

As a smart traveller just take care of few things and make your trip memorable.

Do not randomly believe any stranger and cross check the fact with few other people.

Always used authorised and permitted cab services for travelling as they are safe way to travel.

Also check the reviews of travel agency or taxi providers on trip advisor.

For any doubts feel free to post here and people are here to help you.

I feel sorry as just because of our countrymen whole community has to suffer and feel ashamed.

Once again don't worry and we wish you to have a memorable experience in our INCREDIBLE INDIA.

india
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Delhi/Gurgaon

If you're going to be in open public places like markets, monuments, public transport or just walking on the road then she must be prepared to get stared at hear lewd comments.. Sad i know but thats the truth. However places like malls, restaurants, nightclubs etc are very safe. There might be a bit of staring but just ignore it.

Put it this way.. As long as she isn't venturing out alone at night in open public places, she should be alright. I love my country and don't want say bad stuff about it.. But at the same time it is my duty to warn you about the harsh reality.

4. Re: Safety in Delhi/Gurgaon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 22, 2014