We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gujarat in October

australia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gujarat in October

Hi Travelers

Thinking of spending about three weeks in Gujarat in October following the rough schedule as follows;

1. Fly into Ahmedabad

2. Bhavnagar

3. Diu

4. Jamnagar

5. Bhuj

6. Exit to Kerela

Any suggestions on must see sites or recomended accommodation (with western facilities, not 5 star)will be apreciated as well as the best transport links. I have come to the conclusion that maybe car and driver might be best as train timings seem either early morning or late night.

Many thanks and happy travels

vkb
mississippi
Level Contributor
613 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gujarat in October

Car and driver is the best option it gives you a lot of flexibility. The roads in Gujarat are relatively good. In Ahmedabad I would recommend the House of MG. It is centrally located. While there you shouldn't miss the Calico museum, Sarkhej Roja, Adalaj Vav (stepwell). I highly recommend the heritage walk organized by the city. On your way to Bhavnagar from Ahmedabad stop at the Velavadar Blackbuck santuary. There is not must "touristy" stuff to see in Bhavnagar but stay at Nilambagh Palace and ABSOLUTELY DO take a trip to Palitana. On your way to Diu you could make a quick stop at Gopnath. You do not have Junagadh on your list of places to visit but it is very close to Diu and worth a visit. The Sasan Gir lion sanctuary is not on your list either. In my opinion it is a NOT TO BE MISSED place for anyone spending time in Gujarat. I have heard good things about the Radhika beach resort in Diu but have not personally stayed there.

If you are driving then you will go to Jamnagar via Rajkot. This is the busiest city in the region without much sightseeing. You could spend a night here or stop at Gondal instead and stay at the Orchard Palace. Jamnagar is a busy bustling city and while not very touristy the area around Chandi bazaar in the old city is worth a visit to look at the fine Jain Temples. The pirotan marine sanctuary is also worth a visit. Hotel President is probably the best in town. Khijadia bird sanctuary is also near by and there sould be a lot of migratory birds there in October. You will have to drive back to Rajkot to drive on to Bhuj. Prince hotel in Bhuj was very nice but haven't been there in quite sometime. Bhuj is where you should shop for handicrafts and textiles. I do not know the dates for Navratri for this year but it should be in October. It is the festival of dance celebrated through out the state. I will check on the dates and let you know if you are interested. You will have to fly from Bhuj to Mubai and then on to Kerala (if you are flying). Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions.

australia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gujarat in October

Thanks for your reply vkb. I will go through your email and suggestions. Many thanks.

Do you have any idea what the costings for car and driver would be at the moment?

I am thinking of heading south by train from bhuj with an overnight in baroda on the way to Kerela.

We are going to stop in Goa for the markets for no other reason than in all our travels in India it is one place we have not been able to schedule.

After that we intend to spend some time in 'gods country'

Happy travels

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gujarat in October

Consider these other places - Between Amd & Bhavnagar - Utelia (also close to the Indus Valley site Lothal) - No website but the palace is a nice place to stay. Email - Contact Bhagirath in Ahmedabad at uteliareservations@hotmail.com

Vijay Vilas Palace at Palitana (better to stay there than driving back to Bhavnagar) - Contact Honey in Jodhpur at deraeco@yahoo.co.in

In Gir, try the Lion Safari Lodge - www.campsofindia.com

Gondal Orchard Palace email is hghgroup@yahoo.com

Bhuj - Prince - princad1@bsnl.in

Also consider one night in Sarhad, the camp at Hodka, Banni area - www.hodka.in

Camps of India had a camp site on the beach at Mandvi. One of the best experiences I have had. Check with them if its still there. I think the Maharawal Sahib terminated their lease.

All the best with the car and driver. The Ahmedabad drivers are uniformly untrained for the tourist trade. Wont understand even basic English, youll find them stop and take a break where and when they want, wont be able to find places etc etc. Keep a cell phone handy and get them to take direction from the hotels in Gujarati

Also dont even think of taking the train Bhuj to Kerala. Fly Bhuj to Bombay and then take the train to Goa. Break in Goa and continue by train to Kerala.

vkb
mississippi
Level Contributor
613 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gujarat in October

I am not a big fan of Utelia however the palace is nice and quite a contrast to the town itself. If you do decide to stay overnight in Palitana instead of driving back to Bhavnagar the Vijay Vilas is fantastic. Not really luxurious mind you, but you will experience true Indian hospitality.

Moscow
Level Contributor
209 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gujarat in October

You have'nt mentioed when in Oct. Navratri is a very popular festival in gujarat where people dance througout the night ( or better part of it), It starts from 30 sep this year (for nine days). Each city has its own character. Do try to visit the danace ( Dandia / garba) both in Rajkot and Ahmedabad. IF you are planning baroda, they have some of the best venues.Ask your hotel manager to point out some of the good locations in the city

One more thing, skip Jamnagar. Not worth. If you like visiting historical places, do try out Dwaraka.

Yes, Car & driver is best option.

Do not stay in cheap acco. You will not enjoy your trip. use www.makemytrip.com. They have some good acco on all ranges.

6. Re: Gujarat in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 05, 2009