We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobor Beach Resort

UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mobor Beach Resort

Does anyone know where the Mobor Beach Resort is located and if anyone has stayed there what are your views.......

Cheers Dawn

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,506 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobor Beach Resort

Hi Dawn, it's situated on the main road in Cavelossim village close to a good selection of restaurants and about 5 minutes down the access road to the beach. I've never stayed there but have used the internet cafe a few times. Thornhilllass has stayed there and so has bobthebus so you could always send one of them a PM if you want more info.

UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobor Beach Resort

Hi

Thanks for that as you are at the top of the hill near is it a roundabout looking down is it on the right....

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
19,965 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobor Beach Resort

I don't quite follow the last question but as you enter the tourist part of Cavelossim from the Margao direction it is on the right and before you reach The Haathi Mahal.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,506 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobor Beach Resort

I'm not sure where the roundabout comes into it as there isn't a roundabout near the Mobor Beach, it's opposite D'Mello's chemist and as goanjock mentioned it's on the opposite side of the road from the Haathi.

Derby
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobor Beach Resort

I havn't stayed there but always pop in for a drink when I'm in the village.It's somewhat rough around the edges but is relatively cheap,I did get some rates,in the depths if my holiday purse! Attracts a lot of long stayers.x.

Edited: 6:41 pm, May 11, 2012
UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobor Beach Resort

Thanks everyone for that understand where it is now all been really helpful

Dawn

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobor Beach Resort

Stayed there once for two weeks out of a three week trip to Cavelossim. Would I stay there again? No. it wasn't for me. Quite a few long stay people there in some rooms that are run as a time share type place. The restaurant was really basic and I wasn't impressed by the hygiene - it had the filthiest tea towels/dish cloths ever and they were used to wipe the crockery which appeared to be given just a cursory dip in a bowl of manky water before getting a good wipe with the dirty dish cloths. Once for breakfast was quite enough! Yet, there were some people who raved about the Sunday roasts there and fish and chips on Friday! In the basement, there is a pub, run by an English couple - very smoky with a time warped institutional feel. Not really my cup of tea ( nor was the tea at breakfast though, to be fair), but the couple who ran it were quite pleasant and welcoming.

Rooms very basic indeed, but clean. The management are quite mean - some friends had the television removed from their room after a few days as the management realised it had been left there accidentally after the previous guests had checked out! If to remain, it was going to be charged for on a daily basis. I thought that particular incident typified the management attitude towards it guests and making money!

The pool is gloomy, not exactly well positioned for sunshine and could do with a bit of sprucing up as regards the sunbeds and its overall ambience.. Close to the restaurant, it could so easily be turned into an attractive area with little financial outlay, the sort of place that people would actually want to visit to have a sundowner after a long hard day on the beach.....

Its beach shack, on it's own private land, set back from the other beach shacks was in a great location as it is right at the end of the main drag of beach shacks which are cluttered together. Looking to the right from the shack, you get a quite uninterrupted view over an endless beautiful strip of beach! The beach shack varies in standards, not always been especially well stocked with drinks nor having a particularly wide range of food choices. However, the baked potatoes from the tandoor (when available) were always good. Rare for there to be any fruit available and, occasionally the shack ran out of beer (and not because there appeared to be any excessive drinking going on on the part of the punters).

Derby
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobor Beach Resort

I think its owned by the same folks who own /manage Gaffinos also based in the village.x.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobor Beach Resort

Yes, they own both places. Gaffino's is run along similar lines and, as I have previously said on this forum, it would make such a wonderful boutique type hotel for very little outlay, a lot of cheap white paint to get rid of the dark brown gloomy colour theme of the place, some nice bright light furniture in the cafe and terrace, lots of billowy white curtains in the rooms and pristine white bedlinen, good lighting, a smattering of generosity thrown in for good measure ....

Some of the package holiday companies in the UK used to include and the Mobor as budget hotels, but both got dropped about 4 years ago because I think they were just a bit too basic with little atmosphere to commend them. That said, the terrace at Gaffino's is a great place for a sundowner, set above the road, evening sunshine, But the owners have done nothing to exploit the terrace's situation. If I was in charge, I'd be doing seriously good cocktails, tapas, offering a happy hour, and really developing its potential as a post-beach destination ....

Derby
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobor Beach Resort

It's a pity Londonraffles that you can't take over Gaffinos,lock,stock and barrel-would be there like a shot! Xx