We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on 1st trip to Goa - which beach, which hotel, etc...

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
24 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Help on 1st trip to Goa - which beach, which hotel, etc...

Hi all,

Looking for some help. Unfortunately Trip Advisor closed most of the threads in this forum so I couldn't see most of the previous advice.

I am going to Goa with a friend Nov 1-5, with about 3 days on teh beach. Ideal is to have a beautiful hotel located directly on a gorgeous beach, i.e. walk out of the hotel and already be on the beach. But I keep seeing stuff about "beach shacks" and having to walk or take a bus to the beach... so I am confused about that.

The best for us is to relax on the hotel beach and sip tropical drinks and eat snacks all day, walk out of the hotel for a dinner in town and maybe bars at night. Again, preferably walking distance or a very quick cab ride from the hotel.

Any good recommendations for hotels that fit this description?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-michael

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,528 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on 1st trip to Goa - which beach, which hotel, etc...

have a look at The Holiday Inn

Kent England
Level Contributor
569 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on 1st trip to Goa - which beach, which hotel, etc...

Yes defo Holiday Inn right on the beach about 6 shacks and some very good restaurants a short walk outside the hotel and a 5min taxi ride into town for a bit more life but not to hectic...............Ray

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
24 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on 1st trip to Goa - which beach, which hotel, etc...

Thanks very much for the quick replies and the suggestion. Looking for something more upscale than the Holiday Inn... Maybe around the $200/night range. How about the Park Hyatt? I saw it had mixed review but the photos look gorgeous. Any other thoughts or recommendations?

Kent England
Level Contributor
569 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on 1st trip to Goa - which beach, which hotel, etc...

Next to the HI is the Leela probably the best hotel in south Goa i have stayed at the Leela in Kerela it was fantastic this should suit all of your needs........Ray

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
24 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on 1st trip to Goa - which beach, which hotel, etc...

Yes, but rooms at the Leela start at $480 USD per night... Again, looking more in the $200/night. Thanks anyway (I agree it does look gorgeous!)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help on 1st trip to Goa - which beach, which hotel, etc...

I am surprised that the Holiday Inn is coming in at much less than about $200 a night. It really is in a very good position and setting indeed - if you want to spend some more cash though, the Leela Kempinski is almost next door to the Holiday Inn so shares the same good location. It will definitely cost you more than $200 nightly.

If you want a bit of pampering, why not think about somewhere like the Alila Diwa near Majorda? Recently refurbished and now run as a rather swanky beach boutique hotel, it has featured in Conde Nast Traveller (which is always a sign of upscale luxury!).

U Hotel Resorts are also intending opening in Goa (U KBJ Casa Bella Goa), later this year, I think. Having been earlier this year to the U Chiang Mai which was the most perfectly run elegant small hotel, it may just tick your box too.

Can't help you out with the Park Hyatt. If it had mixed reviews, but you think the photos look gorgeous, go with your instincts. Reviews only represent that person's view and it may be very different to your own! Wherever you go, enjoy.

EDIT - have just seen Raymond's posts. I agree that the Leela Kempinski in Kovolam Kerala is fab, but I think much of that is because of the high clifftop setting and the stlyle of the building. I am afraid that I do not think the Leela Kempinski in Goa has nearly the same wow factor!

Edited: 6:52 am, August 19, 2011
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,528 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help on 1st trip to Goa - which beach, which hotel, etc...

Have a look at the Taj Exotica which is also pretty much on the beach and in a good location.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
24 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help on 1st trip to Goa - which beach, which hotel, etc...

the holiday Inn really did not look nice at all to me when I looked at the photos. Not at all the kind of place I would like to stay. Same for Alila Diwa. I really don't like the tiny boutique places. I much prefer a resort feel *right* on the beach.

The Taj looks ok. Seems like it is not really on the beach but has a giant golf course of a lawn leading up to the beach. photos of the beach don't actually look that nice but the pool seems beautiful.

Overall I have looked at 15-20 hotels, and it seems like the Park Hyatt is the best... rates also seem to be climbing fast. It was $220 yesterday and now is $275 for the time I will be there. No better deals on any of the discount sites either... too bad. Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,528 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help on 1st trip to Goa - which beach, which hotel, etc...

The beach beside the Taj is lovely and stretches for miles......here's a link to a photo of it flickr.com/photos/…

UK
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help on 1st trip to Goa - which beach, which hotel, etc...

If you can afford to waste $220 on some disgusting conglomerate that does very little to help the local people and has no soul, I'm sure another $55 wont hurt.

Each to their own. At least you will be eating outside of the place.