We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Goa Advice - Sun Kissed Hotel and others

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
North Goa Advice - Sun Kissed Hotel and others

Hi All - Looking for info from frequent North Goa visitors.

We went to south goa last year, last week in march and stayed at the Leela...fab..see my review...this year we are going to try the north, same time. I am tempted to just book the Taj or Fort but the price difference is so vast that i am also tempted to book elsewhere and keep the rest of the money for visiting my favourite jeweller in the south. I have trawled the net and basically am no further to making the decision, however I have looked at a couple where I am thinking they look nice, one is a new one on Thomson web site, no reviews on the net, no web page and nothing on here, so just a few hazy picutres thomsons own site, its called the Sun Kissed Hotel, is any one booked to go here soon that could give me a review and some pics when you come back, or has someone already been??? The other ones are Highland Beach and the Nizmar.

~One very undecided person would love loads of repiles. Thanks Bev

Rotherham, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: North Goa Advice - Sun Kissed Hotel and others

We have stayed at the Highland Beach hotel twice. It will not compare favouably with the up-market hotels in South Goa but is clean and is in a good location. The location is good and you are off the main road and away from the horns being blown by passing traffic. When you exit the hotel and are on the main road, turn left and look for a small jewellers on the other side called Gulzar's and for another next door. Well worth a look!! I bought my sister an eternity ring for £90 sterling and it was valued in South Africa at £500. There will be less trouble from the taxi drivers than you will have had in the south. Have a look at the First Choice brochure for the Highland beach. Not a bad price and a comfortable aircraft. 33" in economy with 7" seatback screens and a choice of 8 movies. Do try the north. I have been 14 times. ENJOY.

Coventry, UK
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Goa Advice - Sun Kissed Hotel and others

Don't know about the Sun Kissed, but as to the others you need to decide which resort you stay in. The Nizmar is in Calangute, which is really busy and bustling with tourists and locals- and lots of jewellers. The Highland Beach is in Candolim, a much more laid back resort, but still with plenty going on and better bars and restaurants.

I'd recommend Candolim myself, and the Highland Beach or Phoenix Park hotels.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Goa Advice - Sun Kissed Hotel and others

we tend to stay in candolim as its less hassle we stayed at the magnum resort and was fine. its only a small hotel but there is plenty of room and is clean. we got a room and a bedroom sat tv fridge near to everything loved it. have a good trip.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Goa Advice - Sun Kissed Hotel and others

Thanks for the replies, we are almost decided on the Sun Kissed......or maybe the Nizmar, I wish I was not so indesisive!!! going to wait a few weeks anyway as the prices will be falling....then make a hasty last minute decision.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,321 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Goa Advice - Sun Kissed Hotel and others

hi harristravel,

take my word for it, there's nothing in north goa that compares with the leela palace!!

but i would n't let that stop me going to the north.

BOB

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Goa Advice - Sun Kissed Hotel and others

Having stayed at the Dona Alcina/Dom Fransico 3 times, which had dramatically dropped in standard last time, I've booked at the Highland Beach this time (leaving in 3 weeks). I heard good reports from other travellers last time (one from someone who got moved there after being so appalled at the Dom). It's 3 star, compared with my usual 2, includes satellite TV, fridge, AC, separate living room and has 3 pools... so I expect to be quite impressed compared to the basic accommodation at my former haunt.

Locals also rate the Highland as one of the best hotels (excluding the high-priced luxury places). Everyone knows someone who works at each hotel, and the Highland has a good reputation locally.

I don't expect a great deal of luxury in North Goa, most hotels are fairly basic, but usually very roomy and room staff are very good (they depend on decent tips). I doubt you'll find the same level of western-style facilities that you would in the south, but I get the impression that the South Goan holiday experience is based much more around the hotel facilities, wheras North Goa has a more lively local community which you slot into.

I would always recommend room-only or B&B in North Goa, as there is an abundence of high quality/low price restaurants in Candolim that you'd miss out on if paying for hotel meals in advance (I was effectively half-board on my first 2 visits... providing a set value per day to be spent on meals... 14 meals first visit, 10 on the 2nd, but we were used to eating in the hotel and bought the remaining meals there, too).. last time we were B&B, and ate in the town every day (even breakfast because the hotel's was inedible)... I'm so glad I found out how great the eating out is in Candolim, and would never go HB again.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Goa Advice - Sun Kissed Hotel and others

Hi All, thanks Bob for your reply, I know its going to be different to staying at the Leela, but we are looking forward to the hustle and bustle of the north, we have .....I think....definatly decided on the Thomson Sunkissed hotel in calangue.....however much to my disgust it has now gone up over £150 since i looked at it 2 days ago, so now I am playing the last minute waiting game......would still love to here from anyone going here soon, and also to seeing some up to date pictures of the Highland beach and the Nizmar.

Thanks....bev

West Wales UK
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: North Goa Advice - Sun Kissed Hotel and others

Im thinking of going to the sunkissed early January its on now for £464 with Thompsons not a bad price I think Im going to book.Hope to see you there.

Nigel&Family

West Wales UK
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: North Goa Advice - Sun Kissed Hotel and others

Im thinking of going to the sunkissed early January its on now for £464 with Thompsons not a bad price I think Im going to book.Hope to see you there.

Nigel&Family

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Goa Advice - Sun Kissed Hotel and others

Hi Nigel & Family

We are not goint until March, so look forward to seeing your review and pictures, hoping someone is going Nov - Dec to start seeing some reviews on it. Bev

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations