We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to goa......me again

england
Level Contributor
264 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
New to goa......me again

Hi all

Next question is has anybody stayed at Whispering Palms we have booked for two weeks next feb and although I,m excited at the prospect of going to Goa I,m also a little nervous.

I get a bad reaction from mosquito bites, i.e swelling and blisters is there a doctor at the hotel or nearby just in case of problems. What is there to do in the area near the hotel and is it safe to walk out at night ?

Any other info will be appreciated

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to goa......me again

Hi Bren, you will find the pharmacists plentiful and very knowledgeable for any minor ailments, drugs can be purchased cheaply and without a prescription. Of course you would take the same precautions when out at night as you would here or anywhere but generally it is safe to walk out in the evening in Goa. There have been handbag snatches from motor cyclists in the last few years so best not to take a bag if possible or at least a crossover one with the bag away from the road. I actually feel safer out in Goa than I do here.

england
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to goa......me again

Hi Bren, the whispering palms is a good hotel in a good location,even though all inclusive do eat out as food and drink very cheap, and lots of places to choose from. With in five mins walk you have the stone house, kalinga, horizon grill , top nosh to name a few. Around two min walk to beach, from the supermarket buy adapter for electrics around 100 rupees, and a plug in mozzie thing for room around 50 rupees. I find jungle or boots mozzie Spray the best to stay mostly bite free. Enjoy your hols, when u goin?

goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to goa......me again

The local free medical centre is only a few hundred yards away, and if you do fall ill or need treatment they are great for a free consultation, might safe you a fortune from that charged to foreignors by some local quacks, and give you a real indication if anything is serious and what treatment you actually need.

If you want a hospital, Bosco's is near by & Dr Duklars medical centre is on the road towards Calangute.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to goa......me again

Lovely hotel, stayed there about 10 years ago, only reason we have not been back is that it is AI. Like the mermaid across the road, if you fancy a steak,my husband loves their lemon merengue pie also Chocolatti which is on the corner at the end of the road.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,478 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to goa......me again

We stayed not far from the Whispering Palms when were were in Candolim in 2005. We walk around all over wherever we are and although I generally feel safe in Goa you do need to watch out for the traffic and bag snatchers. Not sure if there are pavements on that stretch of road now but it can get quite busy so do keep your wits about you. I had my bag snatched in Candolim and there were a few similar incidents back then and I've read of more since. I'm not trying to put you off but it is best not to take a bag out with you, I had mine snatched and lost my mobile phone, keys and some cash. If I take a bag out with me now I only take enough money for that evening and no valuables. It hasn't put me off Goa and I still wander around all over the place, often on my own.

Do get out and try some of the local restaurants and shacks, there are some great places to eat in Candolim and sitting at a beach shack watching the sun going down over the Arabian Sea is something that will stay with you for a long time :-)

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to goa......me again

So un-cool, but I use a bum bag while in Goa. when i sit down for something to eat I strap it to the chair?!!!!..I find that Goa in Febuary is not heavy on mossies anyway, i know of many worse places to be for getting bitten.

Do take the advice about plug ins though, also for sitting on your balcony get a coil, but do not be tempted to use the coils indoors or sit right on top of one outside.

You will have a great holiday , in a nice hotel, I am sure.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to goa......me again

Whispering Palms is a good hotel to stay.

Malaria is endemic in certain parts of India; consult a doctor for anti-malaria prescription. Additionally carry any anti-mosquito cream or lotion for local application.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to goa......me again

Your in a great location, very close to some great bars and restaurants. One of them is next door to your hotel, and is called The Bistro, the staff and food is awesome.....

Another great restaurant. called Victors is down the track inbetween your hotel and The Bistro, eating there is a must !!!! please read the reveiws, his food is to die for, but you have to book with him......

Its totally SAFE to walk around at night, as you will see for yourself.....You will love it, its so chilled out, the poeple are so freindly, the beeches are great, theres lots to see and do, so please don't stay in the hotel grounds everyday..... Go out and embrace Goa and i promise it will embrace you, like it has the rest of us....

Relax, don't worry and have a great holiday...... : )

north wales
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New to goa......me again

agree with all the above ,a good hotel in a good area,very handy for everything,we usually stay across the road at the sunset but this year we are having a change,we use ganesh shack just down to the beach and on your left very friendly and great food ,but he doesnt do meat so if you like your meals with meat there are plenty shacks that do,im sure you will have a great holiday,mosquitos dont tend to bother us but we still take precautions , malerone tablets and spray at night just in case,enjoy

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New to goa......me again

I'm with Norman when he say's the Ganesh shack as we also love the place and the beach in this area.

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations