We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers to Goa

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First timers to Goa

Hi all,

Me and my sister have booked a trip to India and will be stopping off in Goa for three nights in January 2013. As it will be our first time here, I was after some advice in staying in Candolim if anyone can help.

I was thinking of staying in Candolim as we are looking for somewhere where there is a good selection of bars, restaurants and some evening entertainment. We are not looking into doing any sightseeing but would most likely venture out to markets etc if there are any nearby. I have looked at Calangute and Baga beach resorts but they seem like they could be a bit too lively for our liking as we would want to experience at least a little bit of 'real' Goa during our short stay. We are not after complete relaxation mode so have opted to stay in the North.

So a few questions :)

Would anyone recommend this area for first timers?

Am I right in thinking Candolim is slightly less busier than Calangute and Baga with fewer 'package holiday' tourists?

Can anybody recommend any hotels in the area?

Please correct me if any of my assumptions above of Candolim are incorrect and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :)

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Calangute
Calangute
North Goa District, India
Baga
Baga
Sugar Shack
Other Food & Drink
Church of Our Lady Of Hope
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
The Cabo Palace
Points of Interest & Landmarks
hyde
Level Contributor
344 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers to Goa

Venus Yes Candolim is less busier than Baga, Calangute

I have never stayed in Candolim

Markets there is a Market in Mapsua everyday but friday is the day the locals go

Also Anjuna market on a wednessday's and the night's market's on a Saturday night

enjoy your holiday

Mentioned in this post
Baga
Baga
Calangute
Calangute
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers to Goa

Candolim is the perfect location for first timers to Goa. We have previously stayed at Highland Beach hotel and Albequeque villas. Both offer clean accomodation which is important and the location is excellent. Just look them up on trip advisor or google for more information. We would now always opt to stay at alberquerque.

Candolim is quieter than calungute but you should experience both locations everything you do in India is an experience, go with an open mind and you will enjoy yourselves.

January is still peak season so loads happening. I hope your short visit to Goa is enough to make you want to go back the following year.

GOA will be paradise after your tour of India, grab a sun bed, cold drink and chill out.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers to Goa

Hi Venus850.......and welcome to the Goa forum.

Congratulations on your homework about Goa, but to help you get the best replys for your questions.

What would your budget be for the hotel, and would you be happy with 2/3* basic but clean, or a 4/5* hotel. Most regular visitors are happy with the 2/3* hotels.

Im a Candolim person, so im bias.......but would recommend it for a first time visit.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers to Goa

Candolim is a little less noisey than Calangute and Baga , but i think there are just as many package tourists from the UK. the domestic tourists seem to stay in Baga and Calangute. but it is all very general remark!!!

Both Calangute and Baga are nearer the Wednesday market at Anjuna and Makies Sat. market at Baga/Apora. but as you would use a taxi to get to them it makes not a lot of difference.You can catch a busto Mapsa market which is more of a local market.

To be truthfull you will not get "real goa" at any of these places., you would have to get in a taxi and go a little further north to travel through the villages , to the beaches there.

Mentioned in this post
Calangute
Calangute
Baga
Baga
Anjuna
Anjuna
Bardez, India
London
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers to Goa

Thank you all for your help so far.

Steelcityphil, I forgot to mention about the hotel info. Our budget would be around £50/60 per night. Somewhere that is clean, can enjoy a nice breakfast and about 10mins max walk to the beach. Not after anywhere luxurious in particular. But cleanliness is priority.

Any advice on taxis from the airport fares wise? Having spoken to the travel agency we booked with, they said we would be better off getting a taxi once at the airport rather than booking in advance as this way it will be cheaper and will cost around £15/20.

Thanks

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers to Goa

Yes get your taxi at the airport, at the fixed price booth just outside, about 1000 rupees £12/13.

Your £50/60 will get you most hotels..........have a look at Lemon Tree Amarante Beach Resort........good reviews.

Good luck.

Edited: 7:21 pm, November 15, 2012
Panjim, India
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers to Goa

Hi Venus! Candolim is a right choice it is peaceful yet closer to the lively atmosphere(10 min ride baga calangute strech) i would advise you to look out for accommodation closer to or on holiday street in Candolim as there are lot of restaurants and also walking distance to the peaceful Candolim beach. also look at home stays and villas, run by families if you want to experience the goan way of life .. try www.mygoastay.com.. resorts during Jan will be expensive.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers to Goa

Candolim is definitely quieter than ~Calangute and Baga. Beach road is a busy road with many bars and restaurants to choose from. Sonesta Inns, Phoenix Park, Highland Beach, Taj Vivanta, Silver Sands Holiday resort (2 minutes from the beach), Silver Sands Hideaway, Victor Exotica (quiter end of Candolim) off the Fort Aguada Road, Sinquerim but within walking distance of the beach all reasonably priced and within your budget range.

I always use Raj (Rupesh) taxi who speaks good English, is very knowledgeable. He charges Rs. 1200 in an ac estate car very comfortable and can meet you at the airport just need to give him your contact number. His number is (code + 91) 982 215 . He also helps a friend with renting out his apartment at the Highland Beach resort. January is quite a busy period so best to book accommodation in advance.

There's a Saturday nighjt market in Baga and another further up the hill Mackie's market. They have lots of different foods on sale, beer etc. and bands playing. Anjuna market is on Wednesdays and if you fancy going by boat there John's boats does trips. His wife Tara has a beauty salon opposite Newtons supermarket. Neomi's is also good for manicures, pedicures and hairdressing reasonably priced. Mapusa market is on Fridays. Fish is on sale there worth just looking for the experience. Mainly a variety of local produce. There is a meat section as well and you can see all the varieties of mutton and beef hanging up in the parade of little shops. An experience. You can hire a scooter by the day best way to explore Goa. Raj also hires out bikes so worth a ring. Good luck and hope you enjoy your stay. I have been coming for 12 years now. I have stayed at the Highland Beach for two years running and also at the Silver Sands resort at the top of beach road for two years. Staff are helpful and friendly. Angora, Sheetal are good restaurants owned by Agnelo who has Silver Sands resort and Silver Sands hideaway plus some apartment rooms on beach road. Bending Bamboos is a good restaurant central on main road near Beach road close to Newtons as is Rising Waves. Fishermans Cove too is good food. Generally speaking most places offer a variety of different dishes and tandoori and the food is usually good. Enjoy your stay and good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Calangute
Calangute
Baga
Baga
Silver Sands Hideaway
Silver Sands Hideaway
240 Reviews
Candolim, India
Sinquerim
Sinquerim
Anjuna
Anjuna
Bardez, India
Goa
Goa
India
Sheetal
Sheetal
42 Reviews
Candolim, India
Bending Bamboos
Bending Bamboos
74 Reviews
Candolim, India
Rising Waves
Rising Waves
172 Reviews
Candolim, India
Fishermans Cove
Fishermans Cove
2,054 Reviews
Candolim, India
Bristol
Level Contributor
67 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers to Goa

We stayed at Casa Candolim the first time we went and found it to be excellent. The staff were very helpful and full of advice and ideas for places to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Casa Candolim
Casa Candolim
308 Reviews
Candolim, India
10. Re: First timers to Goa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Candolim